Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Navy photos

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brigid

brigid Report 14 May 2016 21:20

My grandfather kept photos of his shipmates and naval friends but did not put names or dates on them

HMS BYRONY has football team photos fom 1921 and 1925

there are some other young men from HMS Glorious + Hms Gloucester
printed in Malta where my grandfather was stationed in 1930

there are even a few of children in sailor costumes ..could be nephews or godsons or just friends sons .

. My aunt wants to throw them away but I wonder if we could pass them on to someone ....any ideas ?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 14 May 2016 22:21

Many ships have associations that might be interested. All the above have, although they do seem to be more about WW2 ships of the same name. Worth contacting them though.

The other possibility is The Imperial War Museum in London, which has a huge collection of items like photos, letters etc. which have been donated.

We had a similar problem. OH's great aunt was a nurse in WW1 at a hospital for wounded soldiers and they all had their photos taken with the nurses before leaving. Unfortunately none of them were labelled in any way.

The hospital was still there when OH inherited the photos, and it had an archive, so we sent them there.

brigid

brigid Report 14 May 2016 22:28

Thanks .I.ve just been looking at a site for HMS hood which has some images of crew which look like a similar era of course some of grandad photo may well be ww2 photos too

brigid

brigid Report 4 Jun 2016 07:30

Have found. Phone number of a local history man who does military history I.ll see if he is interested in them .

brigid

brigid Report 9 Jun 2016 06:02

Have delivered most to local person ...keptl the ones of in sailor costumes in case they turn out to be godchildren or nephews .

I do hope they will be of use to someone!

SuCal

SuCal Report 5 Jul 2016 00:49

There is a site called World Naval Ships Forum which I found whilst looking for ship my uncle served on in WW2 - folks have shared photos on that .