Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Acronym u.s.d on birth certificates?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 19 May 2016 23:23

This weekend I am flying to Belgium to pay my respects to William Barton (Dadizeele) & William Field (Monchy-Le-Preux) who sacrificed all in WW1. I received their birth certificates today. One born in St George, Birmingham & the other Oldbury 1883 & 1890 respectively. They both appeared to have been born at home. Each have after their birth address what appears to be usd with one written u.s.d. Has anybody any idea what this meant?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 May 2016 23:49

It means urban sanitary district

Each district was governed by a sanitary authority and was responsible for various public health matters such as providing clean drinking water, sewers, street cleaning, and clearing slum housing.

In England and Wales, both rural and urban sanitary districts were replaced in 1894 by the Local Government Act 1894 by the more general rural districts and urban districts. A similar reform was carried out in Ireland in 1899 by the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898.

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 19 May 2016 23:59

Thank you very much. I can go to bed without thinking about it now. I would never have got that one. :-)