Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The 1939 Register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Norma

Norma Report 28 May 2016 14:38

Hi All
How are you meant to search the register by address if you don't know it.
I could only find my Grandparents by their address as I happened to know where they lived in that year the info never came up when I tried to search by person.
wonder if FMP are ever going to address this problem as I am sure there is a lot of you having this problem.
Interesting to know your thoughts
Best wishes
Norma

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 May 2016 14:48

Mine was the reverse, in as much as the address they were at was mistranscribed and didn't appear in any of the obvious streets( it was on a city corner) but I knew both the names and the address.

If a name doesn't come up in surnames, you can try just the first name, DOB and the area they might be in. There are various work rounds for addresses too...if say it is Mount field road Scarborough which is not showing, look just at Scarborough, it may be there under Mnt field, or Montfield, or something similar.

Norma

Norma Report 28 May 2016 15:17

Hi Rambling Rose
I tried that one with one of my Grans sisters as for 6 years it had been a brickwall and I solved only becuse i had her DOB from the Irish Baptisms(not helped by the name Murphy!!) Thorogh that I found her marriage and also her on the 1901 and 1911 census as well as the register.
This one is another of her sisters who I have her DOB and also her marriage but she and her husband have vanished off the face of the earth and I definitely don't think they have both died.
Do wish FMP would sort this problem out.
Norma

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 May 2016 15:39

Don't forget that they won't be shown if they were born after 1915 and their death hasn't been identified. When there is a large differences in a couples ages, sometimes both or one of them fudges the yob.

If a woman married after 29 Sep 1939 and you know her married surname, try searching with that.

Norma

Norma Report 28 May 2016 15:47

Hi
i have done that and searched with just her first name and DOBthis method worked with my success story.
just hope something changes in the future

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 May 2016 12:42

Its not a FMP problem .some folks dont show as their info is still closed

I dont show as i was too young but i found my mum and dad at the marital home with my younger sister ,she is closed though as was only just born

the rest of us children had been evacuated to Kent and fortunately i have the memory of my foster parents,(am still in touch with the family now)

I found my auntie and uncle but my record is still closed. My elder sister though shows as she died in 2002 and they have picked up her marriage and death

if you have no idea of addresses it would be far more difficult to search for info if that was the search criteria

Transcription errors will always happen with any transcribed records

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 29 May 2016 16:26

I'm not sure what you think FMP can do about it. Even if the transcriptions were 100% accurate and all addresses were there, you still wouldn't be able to search if you don't know the address!

I think the name search and the address search are meant as alternatives, depending on what information you have.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 May 2016 18:36

FMP/NA are gradually discovering that certain roads are missing. Might that be a possibility?

We must also consider how the information was transcribed; to preserve the privacy of potentially living individuals, transcribers could only access assigned columns, not the whole page. Its always possible that the columns 'slipped' when they were married up again.

Just because we can 'see' a name on the image, simply because we were searching for it, it doesn't mean that a transcriber would 'see' the same especially after working for several hours!

Someone mentioned people turning up in unexpected places - this has occured with 2 of mine. It would appear they had been evacuated with their school from the London Docklands to a rural estate.
I've also found a mother and teenage daughter living in one of a series of Huts in Kent. The transcription doesn't give a village! All the other names are also female with no occupation other than 'Field worker'. With the Hop harvest being from the begining of Sep through to early October, its conceivable that's what they were doing.

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 29 May 2016 21:28

I put in my Mum's name and DOB and found her living in Wirral, Cheshire. Although she was born in Dublin in1916, lived in London before WW2, married and died in Wiltshire.

Mum is listed under her married Surname with her maiden name enclosed in brackets.

My Mum had told me many years ago that she had worked for a family in Cheshire so I delighted to see her as a 'housekeeper' for the Davie family.

Kense

Kense Report 29 May 2016 22:19

I couldn't find my parents at first in the road I expected them to be living.

Although the road had several hundred houses in it and most were included under the full road name, a batch were transcribed without the word Drive on the end.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 May 2016 22:20

Norma

when you found your grandparents by street address, but couldn't find them by name ............ were you able to work out WHY you had not found them by name?

Was there something different about the name(s) on the Register from the name(s) that you were entering??

Norma

Norma Report 30 May 2016 08:24

Hi Everybody
Sorry i have only just had a chance to reply.thank you for all your tips
I did have the correct details for my grandparents,and have just done an experiment by entering the name and the DOB in the person search and it still does not find it.
Make me think there maybe a lot of people out there that unless they know the address of their ancestors may never be able to find them as clearly even with the correct details and DOB it doesn't pick some entries up.
On a more positive note though I did solve a 6 year brickwall by entering a first name DOB and district and found my Gran's sister's married name and eliminated any others by searching the marriage so quite chuffed with that.
Thanks all so good to have all the help
Norma

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 May 2016 19:08

I can't find my uncle on the 1939 Register by name .................. I did find them at the same address that I knew they were at in the 1950s.

Or at least, there was a block of 8 closed records at what seemed to be the correct address :-)

They had 6 children born between 1920 and 1931. 5 of them emigrated in the late 1950s and early 1960s, parents followed in the mid-1960s. Parents and 2 children died overseas, the one left in the UK died in 2001

The records for none of the family members who went overseas will ever be opened unless someone is willing to buy the overseas certificates and provide them to FMP.