Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Address Search Scotlands People

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 28 May 2016 20:52

Is there an address search facility on Scotlands People or only a person search :-0
Many thanks.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 May 2016 22:34

You can only search by person's name, I'm afraid, and then town / village/ district name, if you know it.
Not by street name.

Brian

Brian Report 29 May 2016 08:38

Thank you. You've saved me time and money.
Good luck with your research.

mgnv

mgnv Report 30 May 2016 08:10

You can search by addy at FreeCEN, but the coverage is far from complete, so first check:
http://www.freecen.org.uk/statistics.html

1841 is complete but for 4 counties (BEW, PER, RFW, SUT), but the coverage drops off as one gets more recent.
E.g., Aberdeenshire 1871 is 58% complete - all earlier done and nothing later.
One advantage off FreeCEN is that there are Next/Previous buttons that let you see the Next/Previous h/h's on the page (which is handy one the addy no longer exists).

You can also do a free search by addy on Ancestry, but you'll only get the name, age (as y.o.b.) and limited details without a sub.

Here are the heads of h/h on 2 pp of the 1891 for Gamrie Banffshire - searched for Pitgair

Name Parent or spouse names Estimated birth year Birthplace Relation Civil Parish County
1)John Dalgamo Isabella abt 1863 location relation city Banffshire
2)Charles Clark Barbara abt 1886 location relation city Banffshire
3)Margaret Cruickshank abt 1811 location relation city Banffshire
4)George Gray Jane S abt 1843 location relation city Banffshire
5)John Greig Elizabeth abt 1854 location relation city Banffshire
6)Alexander R Fentie Barbara abt 1863 location relation city Banffshire
7)Jane M Beedie abt 1849 location relation city Banffshire
8)James Cruickshank Ann abt 1839 location relation city Banffshire

My transciptions of the actual addy's are:
1) Cot Hs Hill of Pitgair
2) Headiton of Pitgair
3) Cotters Hs Pitgair
4) Farm labourors Hos on Pitgair Farm
5) Far labs House on Farm
6) Servant Hs on Pitgair Farm
7) Pitgair Farm
8) Mill of Pitgair Croft & Smithy

There was no hit for John Greig's h/h - although they lived on Pitgair Farm, there is no explicit mention of Pitgair in the census addy
There were hits for all the rest.

NB FS is unhelpful - e.g.,
1) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KSDZ-QLM

Brian

Brian Report 30 May 2016 21:08

Many thanks for the tip mgnv will try Free CEN

Angela

Angela Report 1 Jun 2016 12:41

Hello. I am trying to find where a John R Beer may live in Scotland, I don't think he lives far from Northumberland Border, The info is for a friend of mine who has lost touch with John Beer who was born about 1940 in Hull. I don't know how to search or where to find Scotlands People. Many thanks for any help given.
Angie.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Jun 2016 12:54

Hello, Angela -

You would have been better to start a new thread, on the "Find Living Relatives" board, putting John's name in the title.

However, having said that -
there is only one John Beer (without middle initial) in Scotland, on searchelectoralroll.co.uk, and on 192.com

He's also in the current online BT phone book at the same address.

I will PM the address to you, but of course it may not be the man your friend is looking for.

Scotlands People will not tell you where he lives.

Angela

Angela Report 1 Jun 2016 13:09

Hello, thanks for your reply, I do not know how to use the Scotlands People as I never even knew about it till now, thanks Angie

Angela

Angela Report 1 Jun 2016 13:30

Hi I have found the John Beere & Brenda Beere on the 192 site on the Electoral list for 2002 to 2010, this is the correct one, but how do I find the address for free, as 192 want you to buy credits?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Jun 2016 13:35

You can't find the address free, I'm afraid.

192.com also have him, without Brenda, at presumably the same address, in 2016.

He's not showing up on the BT phone book, bur may be ex-directory.

However, as the town where he lives is quite a small place (I know it well - my grandmother used to live there), and Beere is an unusual surname for the area, if you just write to him in the town, even without a street name, it will probably reach him.
The postman will know where to deliver the letter.

Angela

Angela Report 1 Jun 2016 13:44

Right I have found where in Scotland where he lives but not the street address, he lives in Newton Stewart, Many thanks for your help I will pass the info on to my friend, many thanks again.
Angie