Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Query re Catholic/non Catholic burial

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jun 2016 14:13

Just answered a query re graves and it got me thinking.

Does anyone know whether back in the 1940s it would have been likely that a Catholic would have been buried in a C of E part of the cemetery, rather than the Catholic cemetery adjoining, so that their C of E spouse could subsequently have been interred with them?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Jun 2016 14:31

I think it would all depend on who arranged the funeral. I don't think there is anything stopping someone who was Catholic being buried anywhere in the cemetery.

Kath. x

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jun 2016 14:35

Thanks Kathleen, from what I can gather it is certainly current practice now to allow non Catholic family to be buried with Catholic family, but I wondered if that was not the case back then. I know my Catholic grandfather is in the C of E part of cemetery, his wife was C of E.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jun 2016 16:45

Local municipal cemeteries often have catholic areas

My in laws and brother in law .their son , are all buried in the local municipal cemetery

Mum was a practising Catholic and is in the Catholic designated area dad and Bill are a little way away from her . As the death years are some way apart they as near to her as was possible

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jun 2016 18:39

Thanks Shirley :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Jun 2016 22:22

Forgot to write dad died in 1985 mum died in 1989

Dad wasn't religious .in fact he was almost an atheist because he was abandoned as a 4 years old . He very much respected mums Catholic religion and they married in a Catholic Church but only a small marriage with two witnesses , he didn't object to his children being christened in the Catholic Church as that was what was his wife wanted ,

When mum died her son arranged the funeral and for her to buried with all the Catholics rites because that was important for her in the Catholic designated area of the municipal cemetery ,

Sadly that son later passed away and his daughters knowing he wasn't a practising Catholic arranged for a service at the Catholic Church but his burial in a grave in the neutral part of the cemetery