Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylann

Sylann Report 19 Jun 2016 18:08

Hi

I know ancestry has stopped using Family Tree Maker But I have just changed my laptop and I want to put my trees I have on ancestry onto my Family tree maker BUT the ones that I have downloaded in the past to FTM from my other lap top
has No action can be taken and it won't download ?? 2 trees that I haven't done before downloaded ok
Does anyone understand what I am trying to do and able to tell me what I can do to get my trees onto FTM please.

Thank you

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Jun 2016 19:41

Whether Ancestry is linked to FTM or not, you should be able to download a GEDCOM to the laptop, and then upload it to FTM, even if you can no longer download directly from Ancestry to FTM.

Maybe this thread will help?
http://ancestryforums.custhelp.com/posts/ef69f4e09b

But if you've already got the first lot of trees on FTM, why would you need to download them again?
(I have no experience of FTM, so may be talking total rubbish!)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Jun 2016 05:45

When I got a new laptop it wouldn't load my FTM. 2006 .I had to buy 2012 version

It does the download the other way . FTM. gives the option to download the tree from Ancestry which I did and it posted it in the new 2012 format .

So it wasn't done as a gedcom from ancestry but through FTM :-)

Pam

Pam Report 20 Jun 2016 10:30

I've got FTM 2010 and it suddenly stopped working a few weeks ago. Now I can't get anything in or out of it.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Jun 2016 11:25

FTM was only supported by Ancestry with the option of uploading the tree onto Ancestry

Its a stand alone programme though as you may not want to connect it to Ancestry especially if you stop having subs to it

Have you googled to see if anyone has had the same problem with it not working

Edit it seems to be a problem with the FTM 2010 version rather than Ancestry

Kense

Kense Report 20 Jun 2016 17:21

I have Ancestry and FTM2014 and the linked trees still synchronise OK.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Jun 2016 10:03

I had a problem with my FTM 2014 which when the name index became corrupted a year or so ago. The sync with Ancestry still worked but if I tried to merge anything it crashed on trying to select a name from the index list. Everything else was fine and I was able to use the program as normal.

Nothing I tried would resolve it so I was left with staring again with an empty FTM file. I then unlinked the old FTM from ancestry, after doing one final sync, and then re-linked Ancestry to the empty FTM file. As I have several thousand names and linked records, photos and sources I was concerned how long it would take but having recently upgraded to fibre broadband it was done in no time at all.

Personally I will be sorry if Ancestry pull the plug on the sync facility but as already mentions, you will still be able to tfr names via gedcom, albeit without any attached records or photos.