Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Copying Census/search finds onto a thread

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pauline

Pauline Report 9 Aug 2016 13:04

How do you clever people copy your findings onto anothers thread ?
it would be nice to help another, if I found an answer to there questions
Hope you understand what I am asking!

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Aug 2016 13:40

Step 1 - Highlight what you want to copy.
You do this by putting your cursor at the start, holding the left mouse button down, and move the cursor to the end, and then release the button.

Step 2 - Copy into a hidden buffer.
I do this by typing the letter c whilst holding the Ctrl key down - you can also put your cursor over the high-lighted chunk, and clicking the right mouse button, and selecting copy. (Actually, both these do a bit more than copy - they first flush the hidden buffer)

Step 3 - Paste the buffer's contents to the target location.
Click the cursor where you want the stuff to go, then type v whilst holding the Ctrl key down - you can also do a right-click on the mouse and select Paste.

Step 4 - Tidy up if necessary.
You sometimes pick up some stray stuff, or get unusual spacing. You ought to tidy this sort of stuff up.
NB - After you've pasted, the stuff is still in the buffer, and you can paste it again and again, if you want.

Pauline

Pauline Report 9 Aug 2016 22:11

Thank you for reply. I will try and have a go
My computer skills are very rusty now