Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Certificates

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Arfermo

Arfermo Report 11 Aug 2016 22:27

When was a deceased married woman's maiden name, included in the death certificate questions ? Is this important extra information, added to registration lists?
It would help in tracing women whose married name isn't known. :-S

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 11 Aug 2016 22:42

1st April 1969.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Aug 2016 23:17

They wouldn't be shown on the index :-0

Arfermo

Arfermo Report 12 Aug 2016 11:40

I thought not, but worth a mention when you are desperate, and out of ideas. Thank you all for responding, Arfermo

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Aug 2016 12:28

If she is likely to have died in England or Wales in or after 1969, you might be able to match a record with a date of birth.
Of course, the informant may have given the wrong date which would cause you a problem.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 12 Aug 2016 12:30

If you know her maiden name, can't you find her marriage?

Even if it wasn't in the UK, there are people on here with the know how to trace all sorts of things.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Aug 2016 12:45

Just to add - England & Wales death indices aren't on line after 2006. Ancestry do have some details after that date, but they are taken from other sources. They aren't particulalry helpful if you're starting with a blank canvas.

Ms Joyce Smith, age 76 died March 2007, in (partial post code)
No dob
No marital status

Only useful if you knew Joyce lived in xx, had married Mr Jones (or was in fact single) and had an idea of YOB.

Arfermo

Arfermo Report 12 Aug 2016 15:11

My mother's younger sister, had one of those fore names that lent itself to so many variations, it drove me to high frustration. Baptised as Anna Casey ( in Liverpool ) Nov 1907, registered as Hannah, Jan, 1908, always referred to by my mother as Anne, the rest of the family called her Annie--which is the name entered on the 1911 census. (aged 3 ) I have checked ALL other versions registered, including Hanna and Ann, to no avail. Neither in Death or Marriage. The last evidence of her existence, was her signature as witness, to her widowed mother's second marriage in August 1942. ' ' A.Casey.' -so, still single at that time. She was the only family member with that first initial. I have listed EVERY entry with those six name variations, for marriage and death, but could not make a link. Anyone like Mysteries?

Arfermo

Arfermo Report 12 Aug 2016 15:21

I would just like to add, and in response to DetEcTive--all the entries I copied from the official records---in my aunts varied name(s) included EVERY area of Britain, and not just Liverpool, where I am convinced she ended her days there. From what I have discovered from the few family member's left, 'Annie' was a shy home girl, who live with several family member's throughout the 1930's, and had no special man friend.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Aug 2016 15:36

How about this death (although I know the year is one year out but the informant may have got it wrong):-

First name(s) ANNIE
Last name CASEY
Gender Female
Birth day 10
Birth month 11
Birth year 1908
Age -
Death quarter 1
Death year 1980
District WIGAN
County Lancashire
Volume 39
Page 2704
Country England

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Aug 2016 15:39

Do you have her dob? Have you found her on the 1939 register? If you can't find her name, she might be easier to trace with a relative.

If she married at all, she'd be listed with the married surname but with Casey in brackets.

In case she was living with her mother, what was Mum's name & date/year of birth? if her father was still living with his wife on 29 Sep 1939, what identifying details do you have for him?
Sometimes we have to go backwards to go forwards :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Aug 2016 15:49

There is this Hannah Casey in Liverpool in 1939:-

Smith Household (6 People)
59 Selborne Street , Liverpool C.B., Lancashire, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER

Hannah Lovitt (Casey) 07 Aug 1907 Female Hotel Waitress Single 199 2
Annie Smith 29 Mar 1913 Female Domestic Duties Unpaid Married 199 1
Moukret Davies 16 Mar 1906 Male Fireman Ss Barrwhin Discharge Book R128069 Single 199 3
James Ossie 15 Jun 1903 Male Seaman Ss Barrwhin Single 199 4
Edward E Miller 19 Mar 1900 Male Heavy Lorry Driver (Pichfords) Married 199 5
Norah Stevens 20 May ? Female Cafe Waitress Married 199 6

This would be the corresponding marriage:-

First name(s) HANNAH
Last name CASEY
Marriage quarter 4
Marriage year 1950
Registration month -
Spouse's last name LOVEITT
District NUNEATON
District number -
County Warwickshire
Country England
Volume 9C
Page 1625
Record set England & Wales marriages 1837-2008

However this date of birth would not correspond with the birth registered in the first quarter of 1908.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Aug 2016 16:18

Were her parents James and Margaret - going by the 1911 census:-

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
7 Raymond St Liverpool, Liverpool, Lancashire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place

James Casey Head Married Male General Labourer 31 1880 Co Wexford Ireland Resident
Margret Casey Wife Married Female - 26 1885 Liverpool
Thomas Casey Son - Male - 7 1904 Liverpool Transcription
Mary Casey Daughter - Female - 5 1906 Liverpool
Annie Casey Daughter - Female - 3 1908 Liverpool<<<<<<<
William Casey Son - Male - 1 1910 Liverpool Transcription

Kath. x

Arfermo

Arfermo Report 12 Aug 2016 18:00

I thank you all for your hard work, I will look into these leads--'Kathleenbell'--you list is the correct family --from the 1911 census --yes ? I have probs with my PC=--keeps blanking out--will be back, hopefully--Arfermo.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Aug 2016 19:15

Could this be her on the 1939 register

Household
Crosby M.B., Lancashire, England
FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) BIRTH YEAR
Anne Casey 1907
James (Patrick) Casey and 1 more person are on this record
2 more people who are officially closed

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Aug 2016 19:28

Wouldn't think the Cosby 1939 register is correct as the Anne Casey is definately marked as married

Fuller transcription
Casey Household (3 People) 65 Sandy Road , Crosby M.B., Lancashire, England

First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Anne Casey 25 Sep 1907 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 337 2
James (Patrick) Casey 27 Mar 1907 Male Food Warehouse Porter Married 337 1
Dermot Joseph Casey 13 Nov 1930 Male At School Single 337 3
+ 2 closed records

Arfermo

Arfermo Report 14 Aug 2016 20:56

DetEcTive----The 1939 listing doesn't match up with those who she shared with. I will apply for the 1980 death certificate for Wigan, it sounds promising. despite slight age errors.
Her baptist document is in Latin (Catholic) and not very clear, but I think it states 15th November--registration gives the 18th Nov--1907 but the Actual Registration paper states she was born on the 18th November 1907. This is very confusing but---she was actually REGISTERED, in the January 1908. Arfermo

Arfermo

Arfermo Report 14 Aug 2016 21:01

Shirley---I'm getting the hang of it-----How can I access the 'Directory' for 1939 ? Arfermo

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Aug 2016 21:36

Its quite feasible that she could have been registered in the January. Parents had 6 weeks to do so before they occured a Penalty. 6 weeks from 18 Nov is 30 Dec. Even allowing for Bank Holidays, they cut it a bit fine!

As you have realised, helpers tend to work together, hence the discussion about the relevance of the 1939 register posting. Shirley had foung a preview - I was able to look at the actual record

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Aug 2016 06:17

You need a sub to Find my Past for the 1939 register

Yes I only found the preview to the i posted wasn't able to look at the actual register page as it didn't give the access