Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scotland's People site will go down

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 15 Aug 2016 12:42

Received this message from Scotland's People to say they'd be unavailable foe a few days in Sept:

We are writing to let you know that the ScotlandsPeople website will be unavailable from Wednesday 7 September 2016 at 23.59 (BST). This is due to essential planned work which is taking place over this time. The work is expected to be completed and service resumed by Monday 12 September 2016. Please check Facebook or Twitter for updates.

Customers visiting The ScotlandsPeople Centre in Edinburgh or using one of the local family history centres will be able to access records as normal on Thursday 8 and Friday 9 September 2016.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you and thank you for your patience.

The team at ScotlandsPeople.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Aug 2016 17:22

Oh, I can feel the withdrawal symptoms setting in already!

Jean

Jean Report 15 Aug 2016 20:49

Just got the same e.mail,
maybe save some money that week.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 16 Aug 2016 09:43

Hopefully, the local Family History Centres will be working normally.

Their server has crashed 3 times in the last week.
Glasgow had to close last Tuesday, and Wednesday, and it happened again yesterday.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Sep 2016 22:54

Postponed.

Service announcement for the ScotlandsPeople website

Last month we contacted you to let you know that our website would be unavailable from Wednesday 7 September 2016 until Monday 12 September 2016. We are writing to let you know that this site downtime has now been postponed to a future date. We will confirm the new dates as soon as possible.

We would like to thank you for your continued patience as we work towards launching a new ScotlandsPeople website. You will be pleased to note that once the new site is launched, all of your credits and saved images from our existing site will be available and accessible.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Sep 2016 17:58

Service announcement for the ScotlandsPeople website

ScotlandsPeople will be offline from 23.59 (BST) on

Wednesday 21 September until Monday 26 September.

This downtime is essential as we work towards the launch of our new ScotlandsPeople website.

Customers visiting the ScotlandsPeople Centre in Edinburgh or using one of the local family history centres will be able to access records as usual on Thursday 22, Friday 23 and Monday 26 September 2016.

You will be pleased to note that once the new site is launched, all of your credits and saved images from our existing site will be available.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you and thank you for your patience.

Thank you.

The team at ScotlandsPeople.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 28 Sep 2016 15:21

2 days overdue and it's STILL not up and running

SP announcement this morning via FB

ScotlandsPeople
5 hrs ·
Morning everyone. We wanted to say that we really appreciate your patience while the team keeps working to bring you the new website. We’ll keep you updated and there will be more news on the new website this afternoon. Many thanks.

Jean

Jean Report 28 Sep 2016 15:55

Crikey, I hope not Joan.
I have been using the sight for years and found it very easy to navigate.
I just hope all my records and images are still on there.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Sep 2016 16:11

It's up again now.

Log in with existing username & password. It'll direct you to change your password.

Now to investigate what's the same or different on the site!

At least my previous searches are still there.

The credit charging system is different;

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/our-charges

Now £7.50 for 30, or £10 for 40.
Still no subscription option, sadly.

Increase to 6 credits for each B, M, or D.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 28 Sep 2016 17:13

ArgyllGran,
Yes it's 6 credits to view the cert but the search results are free.

(No longer 1 credit for search results plus 5 to view)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Sep 2016 18:37

Oh yes, that's true, GL.

I'd forgotten about the initial search credit.

Jean

Jean Report 28 Sep 2016 19:42

Just logged on, changed my password, fine, had a quick look around the site, fine,
checked to see if my saved searches and images were still there,fine, then just started to do a quick search to see how that went and got the message Error 503, try again later, great.
Might try again in a couple of weeks, give it time to settle down.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Sep 2016 19:52

Its suffering a few little blips of hit and miss,more modern and will be a much better easier site to use,,,,,,,plus a 2 year expiory on credits,,,,,as if. that will happen :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Sep 2016 21:20

No Joan they havnt been whooshed but the old facility has been removed such as previous searches,

in place is------you enter a name in which records you need ,,,,,,and against that list of matching name will appear,

View Image(paid)

----------so any and all you have got results for at an earlier date you can view again,,,,,,it will just mean you re-capping on your list of names, :-0,,,,,,,hope its not in the 1000's :-D.
download and timeline is still there.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Sep 2016 22:19

Amokavid -

no, the previous searches are still there, and pretty much where they used to be..

Once you've logged in, at the top of the page you'll see "Saved Searches".

EDIT:
Having said that, when I click on a lot of the saved searches, it says "Sorry, there are no results . . .", when I know there used to be.

EDIT again:

Beside the "Saved Searches" button, there's "Saved Images", which does show images already viewed and paid for.
However, I don't see how to filter them to see all the results for one surname, for instance.
It appears I have to trawl through the 52 pages of my saved images to find the one I want - unless I'm missing something?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Sep 2016 22:42

Re Saved Images -

I see that if you click on "Year" it will put all the results into date order. Clicking on "Record Header" will put them into alphabetical surname order, and so on.

I'm sure we'll get used to it, but at the moment it doesn't seem intuitive.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Sep 2016 22:55

Top right now has.

**View Saved Images**mine are all there from the past few years,,,,,,,,pages of them.. :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 29 Sep 2016 10:17

I'm loving the free search.

Found loads of extra births and deaths already as variant spellings are easy to spot

Also located records for previously unknown infants who were born and died between census years

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Sep 2016 11:54

If its free to see search results even if they aren't the images, more of us might acutally log in! Its something positive we can suggest look up requesters can do with out spending money.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 29 Sep 2016 22:26

But SP dont show a maiden name in births.,,, SR ,Marriages show spouses name..