Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 17 Aug 2016 13:50

I have just found a will entry which says "not exceeding £125.000". What does this mean please?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 17 Aug 2016 15:16

I think we need the rest of the sentence before anyone can give you a sensible answer.

As it stands it simply means that whatever it is mustn't be more than £125,000.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Aug 2016 16:22

I think (but I'm in no way certain) that it means that the executor can administer the will as long as when all the estate is sorted out it does not come to more than the amount stated.

If the executor finds that the value of the estate is actually more than that then I think he/she would have to go back to the court and declare the extra.

Kath. x

Sheila

Sheila Report 17 Aug 2016 16:40

Kath,

Thank you for your reply. It sounds feasible.

Sheila

Ken2

Ken2 Report 18 Aug 2016 13:39

Could it be that at some stage the Probate Registry Office decided not to publish the actual amount if it fell below a certain level?

Older wills on the Probate Registry Index give an actual amount, later ones don't.

Not sure when they changed.

Someone out there should have the exact answer I'm sure.

Ken

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Aug 2016 16:18

Something to do with the IHT bands?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Aug 2016 06:42

£125000 was the inheritance tax band so over that the will assets couldn't be divided until the tax was paid

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Aug 2016 06:45

This is the current tax band

The current inheritance tax (IHT) threshold is £325,000 per person. It doubles to £650,000 for a married couple - as long as the first person to die leaves their entire estate to their partner. Anything over this limit is subject to a 40% tax bill.24 Oct 2014