Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leonard Oxford ellistown Leicestershire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steven

Steven Report 10 Sep 2016 01:12

Hi all
I'm Steve
I'm looking for help on this my aunts husband was Leonard Oxford ellistown born 1898 he married Florence Evelyn cooper dau of Joseph cooper blacksmith markfield born 1875 .my grandads father . My uncles brother Cecil James Oxford was married to the dilks family Caroline markfield I found a book called Thornton at war I printed a couple of pages out it talks of a Manor House .nev dilks was a church warden for many years and wad was asked thy the geary family to keep a eye on the Manor House as it was in the late 1800s .the house had been boarded up,and was empty for a good number of years ,the story goes that the place had been bought for the young Mr geary he was due to marry but tragedy struck and the bride on or near. To the wedding day the whole house was shut up and boareded up again and Mr geary never went to live there it was used for farming .this person who says his mother was a girl her father was asked to watch over it they were told to keep away because it was haunted .later in life she found out her father had done it to make his job easier at keeping intruders away form the house .what I'd like to know we're was the house .
He talks of a new big house built church lane his dad worked at cliffe hill quarry markfield he whent to work with his grandad Neville dilks .if any of are around I'd like to find the family .to let them know who my uncle was was .
Steve
I don't know any thing about a haunted mansion here

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 10 Sep 2016 09:25

13 November 1929 - Nottingham Evening Post - Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

Local Happenings.
A horse over 40 years old, belonging to Mr. and Mrs. D. Burchnall, of the Manor House, Markfield, has just died. It is to buried in a coffin in its favourite corner in a padock adjoining the house.

(above snippet, probably more items)

Anything on google search, or held in Archives...

Chris :)

greyghost

greyghost Report 10 Sep 2016 15:51

The name Geary in Markfield/Thornton rang a bell - although perhaps set a bit earlier in the century!

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1361986

greyghost

greyghost Report 10 Sep 2016 15:55

Some pictures of the Manor House here

MARKFIELD CONSERVATION AREA APPRAISAL & MANAGEMENT ...
www.hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk/download/.../id/.../photographic_survey_-_part_1.pd...
MARKFIELD CONSERVATION ... Quarry House and the stone outbuilding are a fine group of buildings ... The former stable block to the Manor House has now.

Kim

Kim Report 10 Sep 2016 18:48

Hi Steve

Caroline Dilks married James E. Oxford (not Cecil James Oxford) 1918 June Quarter Ashby de la Zouche (7a 183).

Two daughters in FreeBMD:
Margaret Oxford registered 1921 December Quarter Market Bosworth 7a 115
Constance M. Oxford registered 1929 March Quarter Market Bosworth 7a 121

Margaret Oxford married 1948 December quarter Market Bosworth to Alfred Statham.
One child in index: Jennifer M. Statham (registered 1952 September quarter, Leicester

Constance M. Oxford married 1950 June quarter Market Bosworth to Kenneth A. Cave.
4 children in index -
Bryan G. Cave 1951 March Leicester
Suzanne Cave 1953 September Market Bosworth
Martin K. Cave 1958 June Market Bosworth
Andrew J. Cave 1965 March Market Bosworth

Chances are good that some of these are iiving in Leicestershire. Suggest try the telephone directory.

Kim Sargerson

Steven

Steven Report 10 Sep 2016 23:58

Hi guys
Thanks very much for letting me know really surprised I have lived here in markfield for over 40 years now and didn't know about this mansion until I found the story in a book I had from the library I printed the pages out because of my uncles brother I found the court case about his wife taking him to court for desertion leaving her with children but he wanted to fight for his country he whent to Arhem in Holland in operation market garden I have have all the information on that .and the DVD so I can watch it when I like my dads father did a war magazine called the billet for Coalville soldiers ,Hugglescote ,Ibstock,Heather he was in that he got caught by the Germans .but was brought home by the Americans when they whent in so he came home in 1945 he was a paratrooper so I was proud to find that .i have a photo of a church with one of the brothers in his regiment but don't know we're it's placed could be France we don't know there's no name on the church or on the back of the photo one is big and a small one they were in a cardboard tube rolled up I'd love some to come and look at them for me it would put me at ease to know we're it is .my uncle used to have a brass shell with the tip on sitting on the hearth when he was alive my brother as it now his wife passedaway with Demerara.i have photos of them when younger Lens father was a preacher in ellistown and pigeon racer at the red house Coalville ,there's a book in Coalville library called thringstone news it was in that I had it printed out so I could have that..I have really enjoyed finding out about mums familyHi know the Oxford family wasn't blood relatives but I very close to Len he used to take round the pubs with him delivering the sports papers that was then a long pink paper .i was never a loud in the bar I had to sit with the old men in the lounge but that's how I found out about family .i can't ask now as they have passed away so I have had to ask on sites had some good people give me stuff .so thanks very much
Steve

Steven

Steven Report 10 Sep 2016 23:59

Thanks Kim
Will try that
Steve

Steven

Steven Report 19 Sep 2016 15:18

Hi guys
Is there any chance you could send the pics of the Manor House to my email or am I allowed to use it on here ..I'd love to be able to see them did try and get to the site but wouldn't work for me my mother says she can't remeber it being here in markfield or round near the church mum married their in 1960 I have her marriage cert and the picture from the news paper I found that in Coalville libary on a news reel .
Please can help to send the picture for me I would give it if I'm allowed.
Thanks
Steve

Mary

Mary Report 19 Sep 2016 19:28

1911 summary
Main Street
Manor House Mr Burchall 4 people in house.
next door Mr wood of Bull's Head Inn.

1911 Manor House Main street 9 rooms married 5 years
John Dalley-Burchnall born 1876 died 1951 still at The manor House Markfield
Edith Augusta 1876

1911 Bulls Head Inn Edward John Wood age 55

Maryb.