Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 22 Sep 2016 21:22

Does anyone know if I could access adoption records from 1920?

Pam

Pam Report 22 Sep 2016 21:28

Official adoption didn't begin until 1927.

Sandra

Sandra Report 23 Sep 2016 15:46

Thank you for that. My great uncle who was born in 1920 and was adopted by his grandparents ( so I have been told by other family members and obviously after 1927). Is there anywhere I could check?
Regards Sandra

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Sep 2016 17:19

Sandra

I believe adoption records are closed. An adoptee can sometimes get them opened.

Why do you say that your great uncles adoption was obviously after 1927? Private adoptions took place before then. Often family members just 'took on' relatives children and brought them up with their own.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Sep 2016 17:55

Do you have your great-uncle's birth certificate? Is it possible that his mother wasn't married when he was born so her parents just brought him up as their own.

My own grandmother had a child about 8 years before she married my grandfather. The child was brought up with my grandmother's parents as their own, although the child always knew who her real mother was (she registered my grandmother's death and gave her relationship as daughter). However I don't think my grandfather ever knew as he filled in the 1911 census when the child was staying with them and described her as his sister-in-law, NOT his daughter, step-daughter, or daughter-in-law (as a step-daughter was sometimes called in those days).

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Sep 2016 09:35

If the child was brought up by grandparents its most likely they didn't officially adopt the child as he was already family

Have you found his birth cert and followed him through ?

Sandra

Sandra Report 26 Sep 2016 12:01

Found it now he was born out of wedlock to my great aunt and brought up by my great grandparents. Thank you everybody for all your help x