Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Peerage Search.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lee50

Lee50 Report 3 Nov 2016 12:55

Does anyone have any ideas of where to search for Peerages from the early 1800's. I am having no luck. I have spoken to the library about the Burkes Peerage book for 1826-1837, the British Library in London has copies but I cannot get there.

I don't know anywhere else that would have this book.

I asked my local library if it could be sent to them just for viewing but they didn't hold out much hope.

I have tried online searches but not had any luck.

Any advice? Thank you.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Nov 2016 13:01

Have you tried just googling for the name of the one you are interested in

Sometimes comes up trumps

Lee50

Lee50 Report 3 Nov 2016 13:14

Yes tried that, no luck :(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Nov 2016 14:23

Without knowing the circumstances, might the person have been a 'Lord of the Manor' rather than a member of the Peerage?

That title goes to whoever owns or owned the Manor House or Manor Estate & appears to trace back to Feudal times.

mgnv

mgnv Report 4 Nov 2016 01:25

Search for "peerage" at: https://archive.org/search.php?query=
A quick glance shows several volumes of Collins peerage, viz:

Collins's peerage of England; genealogical, biographical, and historical
by Collins, Arthur, 1682?-1760; Brydges, Egerton, Sir, 1762-1837

Published 1812
Topics Nobility
SHOW MORE

v. 1. Contains the blood royal, and part of the dukes -- v. 2. Contains the rest of the dukes, and all the marquises -- v. 3. Contains the earls to the termination of the seventeenth century -- v. 4. Contains the earls from the commencement of the eighteenth century to the death of George II -- v. 5. Contains the earls from the accession of George III -- v. 6. Contains all the viscounts and those barons whose honours existed prior to the death of Queen Elizabeth -- v. 7. Contains the barons from the accession of King James I to the termination of the Coalition Ministry in 1783 -- v. 8. Contains the barons from the commencement of Mr. Pitt's ministry 1784, to the termination of the eighteenth century -- v. 9. Contains the barons from the commencement of the nineteenth century and the Union of Ireland and also a short extinct peerage from the accession of King Henry VII with an account of peerage claims

Lee50

Lee50 Report 4 Nov 2016 10:17

+++DetEcTive+++

That's really interesting, I didn't know that! Yes this is much more probable than a peerage, I just assumed a Lord would have some peerage behind him.
I have been told they built and owned a manor house. I will look in to this much more. Do you know much about this kind of thing if I have any more questions?

Thank you very much.

Lee50

Lee50 Report 4 Nov 2016 10:18

mgnv - Thank you I will have a look at this as well.

alviegal

alviegal Report 4 Nov 2016 11:32

This site is pretty good.

http://www.thepeerage.com/

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Nov 2016 12:17

Lee, no I don't know a great deal about Lord of the Manor's other than that picked up from works of fiction. :-D

There's some articles on the internet about them.
Although not so common now, a few years ago there were newspaper reports of people buying vacant LotMships.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 4 Nov 2016 15:23

You could try this

http://www.burkespeerage.com/

You can do a basic search without joining, so it might eliminate some possibilities. Burke's only started in 1826, so the year you are looking for may be the very first one.

Lee50

Lee50 Report 5 Nov 2016 11:36

Thank you. I had a look at the Burkes Peerage site, not any help, but yes I need the first one from 1826.

Lee50

Lee50 Report 5 Nov 2016 11:45

Thank you alviegal I will have a look through this.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 5 Nov 2016 12:09

Could be items relating to family on below (click on arrow, top right, to 'Search our records' enter surname)

(as Shirley says, usually items relating on google)

Chris :)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Simon

Simon Report 15 Nov 2016 17:44

You could try looking up the person in

http://www.thepeerage.com/surname_index.htm

This is a very comprehensive and extensive website which includes a huge number of individuals descended from the 'royalty' and 'aristocracy'! (You'll even find me there!)

Simon