Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Keeping track of direct ancestors

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 13 Nov 2016 17:57

Hi all,

How do you keep tabs on your direct ancestors in your tree?

I have a somewhat extensive tree and have, from time to time, in the past, been able to use full UPPER CASE text for the names of my direct ancestors (and those of my wife) - but Genes keep changing the rules and currently don't allow the use of upper case (well, the program converts it back to lower case as soon as you save the person or any changes you make to them).

I'd be interested to hear what others do.

Simon

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 13 Nov 2016 19:06

What I used to do was to put a * after the first name but you can't do that now since they changed it. I now put the * in the middle name box and that way it comes up after the first name.

Hope this helps Mel.

patchem

patchem Report 14 Nov 2016 08:44

Bother.

I thought I had done very well when I changed some to UPPERCASE because it no longer accepted *, and did not check that the uppercase remained because it showed after the first save.

But I am also having problems with * in middle box.

OK.

I was testing on people with long first and second names and it has problems once there are too many letters in use.

So when I tried Joan Matilda * it defaulted to Joan M, but Joan *Matilda gave Joan *, and Joan Mat* gave Joan Mat*.

But for *Matilda the full name is still showing on the middle name in the information box, so nothing is lost.

As I do not alter my tree very often now, it is a surprise when the system refuses to allow what I had done in the past.

But new information is out there, so I do additions intermittently.

Thank-you, Mel

Simon

Simon Report 14 Nov 2016 14:58

Patchem,

Yes, in the 'old days' upper case wasn't a problem. Then they changed the tree and it was one of the many gripes that I and others had that we couldn't use upper case... then, all of a sudden it reappeared last spring and I thought 'hurrah, they've listened to us at last'... but after a few months someone must have noticed and they 'corrected' what they thought was just a glitch in the system.

I still think the GR tree is the easiest to edit - but I do wish 'they' would listen to those of us who have offered improvements.

...and Mel, I'd thought about using the * after the first name - but UPPER CASE would be so much simpler - and easier to spot!!