Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Certificate Registration

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lavender

lavender Report 14 Nov 2016 09:21

I read a post on Ancestry where somebody said a mother hadn't left a first name on their child's birth certificate. Was this allowed?

:-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Nov 2016 10:12

The only ones I have seen are for a child that died soon after birth and the birth the birth and death are reg at the same time . The parents didn't name the child

What did happen too was the death was reg but not the birth if the child child was a live birth but died soon after

You have six weeks to reg a birth so would think if the child survived then a name would have been chosen by the time the birth was reg

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Nov 2016 10:47

You don't have to give a first name when registering a child - which is why at then end of the list of names you can sometimes find "male" and then surname, or "female" and then surname. The name can be added later which would be added in column 10 (name given after initial registration). This would be on earlier birth certificates. I imagine it would be different today.

See here for details of birth certificates:-

http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/births.htm

Kath. x

lavender

lavender Report 14 Nov 2016 22:28

I do apologise, I didn't make my request clear at all!

It was actually the mother that didn't leave her Christian name..

thank you both, any thoughts still very welcome.

Kense

Kense Report 15 Nov 2016 09:02

Was the mother the informant who registered the birth? If not, it could be that the informant didn't know her first name.

lavender

lavender Report 15 Nov 2016 10:01

That is a good thought Kense..

I have no idea. I came across a message on Ancestry where somebody was looking for the child's mother (now a grown man) only saying that neither father nor mother's first name was given.

Many thanks. I may buy the certificate as it is of interest.

lavender

lavender Report 15 Nov 2016 22:47

I am going to order the certificate and will let you know what I find :-D

Potty

Potty Report 16 Nov 2016 12:13

Are you sure they were looking at the actual cert and not the GRO index?

lavender

lavender Report 16 Nov 2016 12:58

I have wondered the very same, Potty..

I don't know but am curious enough myself to buy the certificate as I'm looking for adopted offspring with the same surname.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 16 Nov 2016 19:18

No parents names are given on a short birth certificate,

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Nov 2016 07:26

When a child is adopted then if the original birth cert is ordered you only get the short version that doesnt show parent /parents names

The system has changed over their years but at one time a small S was added to the page nos on the GRO ref indicating only a small copy will be issued

edited because my ipad did predictive text that i missed when it posted

lavender

lavender Report 17 Nov 2016 23:05

I did order a birth certificate for a 1961 birth for a child that adopted. There was no small S and just appeared as a normal birth certificate, although no father detailed.

Thanks for your response, Shirley.

edit* I'm awaiting delivery of the birth certificate with interest. The child obviously hasn't died as he has requested his friend for help in finding his parents... I'm expecting the short version, now!