Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 birth, why an illegal page number?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 21 Nov 2016 15:19

I received some photographs from 1992 of John & Audrey (Guy) Thompson both born 1917 and their son & daughter in Cape Town, South Africa. There is a mystery or me not finding an earlier date for their marriage as I get their marriage date 1946, but based on back of photography their children were born 1943 and 1945. Their son has the page number of his birth altered by pencil on Ancestry scanned records from page 772 to D42, using D42 I cannot order certificate (illegal number). My first assumption is the son was adopted, is that what a D42 to the original records mean, but the original records does say born Thompson, mother maiden name Guy hence why I was happy to see if I was completely wrong or not. Also would I get a certificate if ordered under the crossed out 772?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Nov 2016 15:24

No it's means an addendum was done see Dec qtr 1943

He was reg in the March qtr but the birth was amended in the Dec qtr

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Nov 2016 15:35

Right there 3 entries for the same birth

The Dec .1943 one with page nos 731 will get you the cert

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 21 Nov 2016 15:46

Thank you i'll order that one.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Nov 2016 15:47

Are you sure you have the right marriage

Is this the one you have picked up ???
Marriages Sep 1946 (>99%)
Gee Audrey W Thompson Birmingham 9c 1048 Scan available - click to view
Guy Audrey W Thompson Birmingham 9c 1048 Scan available - click to view
Miller John A H Porter Birmingham 9c 1048 Scan available - click to view
Porter Elsie Miller Birmingham 9c 1048 Scan available - click to view
Thompson Frederick J Gee Birmingham 9c 1048 Scan available - click to viewAdditional information available - click to view
Thompson Frederick J Guy Birmingham. 9c. 1048

Maybe he was known as John

Could this be Audrey ??

Births Mar 1924
Guy Audrey W Eldridge. Wandsworth 1d 1009

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Nov 2016 15:51

Or the surnames a diff way around

Marriages Jun 1947
Guy John T Thompson Sunderland 1a 2495
Thompson Audrey Guy Sunderland 1a 249

This is the John /Audrey combination

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 21 Nov 2016 23:27

This one could turn out to be a movie! The story is Audrey W Guy married a Richard F M Gee in 1937 then Frederick John Thompson in 1946, The daughter has been registered in both surnames with same ref in 1945 and son with the 3 you have described. The imagination could run wild with an imaginary love story. I never expected this when just trying to add them to the family tree. She is 75 on the picture but you would never imagine what her life story was like around WW2. She is a bit of a genealogy hero of mine on my wife's side. In the photographs she is in front of the oldest family photograph of my wife family (1885) and I did the equivalent photo in Hungary 2 years ago in front of my mothers equivalent family photo (1893). :-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Nov 2016 05:48

Did Richard GEE die in the war?

As she was Mrs. Gee, any children born to her before a later marriage would be indexed GEE, regardless of who their father was.
If the birth father was named on the birth certificate, the GRO would also index the certificate under his surname too.
The child could have been known by either or none of these surnames.

It is only in more recent years that a section for SURNAME has been included on a birth certificate.

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 22 Nov 2016 09:43

As I have just found a Richard F M Gee married in 1937 & 1961, with the initials listed you assume Richard lived well past WW2. Thank you Gwyn based on your knowledge the daughter was definitely her 2nd husbands child. I stayed up late and ordered a number of certificates and hopefully next week will learn more of the details.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 23 Nov 2016 13:15

1939 register:

Gee Household 89 Elmay Road (Sheldon) , Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire,

Richard F M Gee 12 Mar 1916 Male Inspector Aircraft Parts Married
One closed record
Dennis R Guy 01 May 1916 Male Inspector (A I D) Stores Single
---------------------------------------------------

1939 electoral register:
73 Baldwins Lane, Hall Green

Etta Muddiman
Richard Frederick McLaren Gee
Audrey Winifred Gee
-------------------------------------------------

1945 electoral register:
119 SUNNINGDALE ROAD, Acocoks Green
Richard F M Gee
Douglas G Gee
-----------------------------------------------------

1947 electoral register:
210 Linden Road, Kings Norton
Frederick J Thompson
Audrey W Thompson
Ronald W Guy
Irene W Guy

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 23 Nov 2016 13:30

Birmingham Daily Gazette - Saturday 27 October 1945

Tyseley Divorce Decree

A Decree nisi was granted in the Divorce Court yesterday to Richard F Gee of Sunningdale Road, Tyseley, Birmingham, on the ground of his wife's adultery with a man named Thompson. The case was not defended.
Married at Acocks Green in 1937, Mr & Mrs Gee lived at Sheldon and both went to work, the husband as an aircraft components inspector, the wife at a motorcar factory.
In 1941, said Mr Gee, his wife went to stay with a relative in Gloucestershire, and on her return, Thompson, whom apparently she had met while away, went to stay with her and her husband.
Afterwards she said she liked Thompson better than her husband and left home.

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 23 Nov 2016 23:00

AustinQ. You are a star. I was all geared up on the assumption Richard had gone to War. Richard Frederick McClaren Gee got re-married 1961 Western Super Mare and passed away Sept 2005 North Somerset at 89, so had a good innings and moved on. There is a family story from 2 separate Aunts that I have messaged over the years and both in last 3 days that John & Audrey left to South Africa as John had assaulted a man with a spade and that person had to have a steel plate in his head. He was in fear of imprisonment, tonight Aunty Di told me she heard the story from Dennis Guy! I joked based on the facts it was Richard, and with electoral role they were 4.4 miles apart in 1950 will Hall Green between them. I wouldn't be surprised that Richard was that individual. You'd have to have some history to attack someone with a spade and this is good as it gets. I have many photos of the 2 great aunts Rose & Anne in Stroud who she stayed with as well.

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 24 Nov 2016 00:13

Aunty Angela (born 1946) has just told me John was not liked in the extended family, but didn't know why. But with the facts now she knows why and can tell me. I bet there was some tension when they had a family do as her brother Dennis could have been best mates with Richard.

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 25 Nov 2016 00:21

The story continues. Richards brother Laurence Geoffrey Earl Gee died 29/9/1943 in Holland and buried at Reichswald Forest War Cemetery, Kleve, Klever Landkreis, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany. Tough times for the family, Richard was an Inspector Aircraft Parts so may have worked on the plane his brother came down in!! :-0