Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Recently deceased relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 28 Dec 2016 15:08

Hi, How can I find details of recently deceased relatives. I have been told that a relative of mine has passed away quite recently, this year and also a relative on my mothers side. Please can anyone advise on this matter. Chris :-(

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Dec 2016 15:34

Do none of your relatives have details of these deaths?

You could search for obituaries - Google the name, plus "obituary", or try iannounce:

https://www.iannounce.co.uk/United-Kingdom/23/Death/death?_fstatus=search

If these people died in England/Wales, there will be no death records online for another two or three years.
If they died in Scotland you will find 2016 deaths on Scotlands People, unless they are extremely recent - ie - in the last few weeks..

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Dec 2016 17:49

*IF* their Estate has already gone to Probate in England or Wales, you might find a listing here
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Its worth mentioning that small value Estates may not appear, nor if all of the Estate is left to the surviving spouse.

Christine

Christine Report 28 Dec 2016 19:58

Hi, Thank you. The first deceased , there is only one person that I know that would have details , and I am unable to ask as we do not speak to each other. The other person, is a distant relation of my mothers & as we do not know their close family , I have no one to contact. I will try the links I have been given. Chris :-|

Christine

Christine Report 28 Dec 2016 21:59

Hi everyone, Thanks for the ideas , but sadly nothing at all found. I am looking for deceased details of Vaughan A Pettit born 1950 in Birmingham, died this year sometime, he was my relative. Also looking for a Maureen Crowther born in 1935 , her maiden name was King, also West Midlands area, believed to have passed away this year. Any help would be most welcome. Kind regards Chris :-(

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Dec 2016 22:12

Have you any idea of where they were living before they died?
The local newspaper websites might be helpful.

EDIT:
Vaughan Pettit was living in Birmingham until 2015, per ER.

The Birmingham Mail and Birmingham Post don't give any results for him.

patchem

patchem Report 29 Dec 2016 09:16

Vaughan A Pettit can be found on the probate site

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

(as posted by DetEcTive also)

patchem

patchem Report 29 Dec 2016 09:27

Maureen E Crowther (with Trevor H) are showing on ER's in Birmingham to 2014

Christine

Christine Report 29 Dec 2016 19:49

Many thanks to those whom have helped me with finding out about Vaughan Allen Pettit, he was my cousin. I was only told about his death which happened in March this year on Christmas Eve. My mothers cousin Maureen Crowther, is a mystery, as my mother was told she had passed away this year. I am still working on this one. Chris :-S