Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GEDCOM Problem

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roger

Roger Report 30 Dec 2016 12:48

My Genes Tree has got rather out of date so I imported a new GEDCOM file from Ancestry containing over 4000 individuals. My Genes tree now contains all these people but has lost all the relationships. Any suggestions please?

Roger

Roger Report 30 Dec 2016 13:32

I've sorted this out. I reimported the ex Ancestry file with the same result so I created a new file from Family Tree Maker that is sync'd with Ancestry. This file worked OK so I guess the problem is with Ancestry. Now have all my 4610 relatives in Genes!

joysie4

joysie4 Report 31 Dec 2016 15:44

Perhaps you can help me I asked on chat this morning how to put my family tree 2014 onto a memory stick to transfer to my laptop windows 8 from a vista pc is this possible also is it possible to download a print off from a relatives ancestry tree

As I like the crests for each surname

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Dec 2016 17:45

I assume you mean Family Tree Maker 2014, Joyce.

I don't know anything about FTM, but in general terms you will have to download your tree as a GEDCOM, either to the PC and then copy it to the memory stick, or else direct to the memory stick.

There will be instructions re downloading a GEDCOM somewhere on FTM

Perhaps this will help - BUT stop after step 6.
http://tinyurl.com/h5u5c2w

But what are you going to upload it to? Do you also have FTM on the laptop, or some other family tree software? The GEDCOM is meaningless on its own.

You won't be able to download someone else's tree. You could ask them to put it on a memory stick as a GEDCOM for you, and then you could upload to whatever family tree software you have on your laptop.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 1 Jan 2017 10:56

Joyce.

" download a print off "

Do you mean the whole tree of your relative?
Or just the section that shows on your pc screen?

I do not know about the whole tree.

But printing a section (the group that you can see on your screen) is possible. The print icon is on the left of your screen. However, it will print over a number of A4 sheets - so a tad messy as you would have to stick the sheets together.
Alternatively use a snip tool to capture the onscreen group that you want to print. Then save & print it.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 1 Jan 2017 12:02

Roger,
The same thing happened to me last year.
I uploaded a gedcom to GR and although all the people were there, many had lost relationships and were showing as individuals rather than husband/wife with parents siblings and children

I contacted GR and was given advice on the type of Gedcom that I should be using.
I can't remember the exact details but, eventually after numerous import attempts, the issue cleared itself!

Roger

Roger Report 1 Jan 2017 12:22

Joyce,
If you have access to a wide format printer it should be possible to print much more of a tree. Before I retired I had access, at work, to an A1 Plotter that worked off a roll of paper. This allowed me to print my then whole tree in two halves (at that time it was about 2000 people). My problem was the width of the tree when I got back many generations. Since retiring my tree has grown to over 4600 so it would be a bit more difficult now!

I know that wider plotters are made, many engineering drawings a produced at A0 and there are commercial companies that offer to print you tree, ( one e-mails me on occasions as I bought something from them). I have no idea what they charge or how good they are and would not like to make a recommendation.

Roger

Roger

Roger Report 1 Jan 2017 12:37

GlasgowaLass,
This sounds like the same problem I had. Fortunately the GEDCOM from the current version of Family Tree Maker proved to be compatible with GR.

I like to keep my tree in several places GR, Ancestry, FTM and I am tring to add it to Family Search but this has lot of things that it wants to add automatically so I land up with problems like people born after their mother died where someone has put in a wrong birth date. I have a documented source date and can't find a way to correct things.

joysie4

joysie4 Report 1 Jan 2017 22:56

Sorry just seen all the replies I managed to put it on a memory stick from my pc
but i dont know how to add it to my laptop F.TM I will have to ask my son one day todo it when he calls round I have been googling my surname it has a lot of information which I never had in my tree

Thank you everyone for the advice

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Jan 2017 12:54

Joyce -

you could try the instructions here (scroll down to the lower part of the page for FTM 2014 instructions):

http://tinyurl.com/jpgfm7v

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 3 Jan 2017 14:29

Joyce, my OH does this often (we have Windows 10, but it shouldn't make any difference) and he says you put the memory stick in the laptop, and open the appropriate drive. In his case this shows in a list on the left-hand side.

You then get a list of things on your memory stick. You right click whatever you have called your family tree, and on the dropdown list click on move to......

I hope that makes sense, and good luck. If it doesn't work, I'm sure someone more technically minded than I am will help.