Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Separating a tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 3 Jan 2017 14:24

I have created a family tree on here and sent it to My History to print off. Unfortunately I have had a reply from them that it is too big to print (293 members of family on in). How do I split the tree into two? i.e do a tree leading off on my maternal grandmother.s ancestors, then another leading off on my maternal grandfather's ancestors. Obviously I don't fancy deleting half a tree and re-inputting it on another tree. Can I split it in 2?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Jan 2017 16:50

You can, but only with an off line family history programme on your home computer.

Could you ask 'My History' if they would be willing to split it?

It sounds as if you're focussing on only your maternal side. If that's so, then grandfather/grandmother seems a logical place to divide. Whether each section would be small enough to print would depend on how many ancestors each side had & whether it's a full tree with children's children (with father's name) etc or just the names of the direct line offspring by generation.

If you haven't paid up-front, ask Genealogical Printers for a quote & explain your problem. The owners are members of GR & provide a good service.
http://www.genealogyprinters.com