Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adding second spouse

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 3 Jan 2017 17:04

Hi, when i add a second spouse ( after a death or divorce ) to a brother or more recent relative the tree connects the new addition directly. If i do this to a father or older relative the system adds a duplicate record and starts a new tree. Why do these entries for older relatives act differently?
P.S this is my first message so not sure if i am in the right place?
regards BN

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Jan 2017 20:32

Welcome to the boards, Brian.

I'm just one of the voluntary helpers, not a GR employee, and don't know the answer to your question. Maybe another helper will.

I suggest you contact:
[email protected]

They usually reply fairly quickly.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Jan 2017 23:27

When the new tree opens with the second spouse try clicking on the relative's name and it should take you back to your tree with the new information added.

I have just added my grandfather's second wife to my tree (I hadn't done this before now), and at first it came up with just my grandfather and his new wife. However when I clicked on my grandfather's name it took me back to my tree and the new wife was added to that.

If this doesn't answer your question then do as ArgyllGran says and contact Genes on the link she has given.

Kath. x

Kense

Kense Report 6 Jan 2017 18:51

I believe the idea is that in full tree view it cuts down on the number of crossing lines so keeping the layout simple.

For modern relatives there will be fewer descendants and less need for line crossing.

The duplicated items are marked to indicate that they are copies and the main information for that person is kept in one place.