Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

trueland coat of arms

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Duncan

Duncan Report 9 Feb 2017 13:29

I found this description of a coat of arms attributed to the Trueland family. i have since found out that coats of arms were often stolen, perhaps this is the case here - particularly in the Scottish or Irish branches, i don't know much about the English side of things yet. anyway here is the description, i would invite any comments and appreciate any & all info on the Trueland family.
Blazon of Arms:- Argent, two greyhounds courant in bend sable, between two bendlets gules.
Crest:- A demi chevalier in armour brandishing a sword all proper.
one more thing, does anyone know what this would look like? i have no idea.

greyghost

greyghost Report 9 Feb 2017 14:05

Welcome to the boards Duncan.

Plenty about Coats of Arms if you google where you would also probably find an explanation of the words within the description. I think that is what most of us would have to do.

www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/
The College of Arms is the official repository of the coats of arms and pedigrees of English, Welsh, Northern Irish and Commonwealth families and their.......

www.college-of-arms.gov.uk › Services
Identifying a Coat of Arms or Crest. 17th century ordinary of arms Officers of arms are often commissioned to try to identify coats of arms and crests. Frequently ...

Also
...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms

There are then pictures of Trueland coat of arms on google which you may be able to match once you know what describes what.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Feb 2017 15:40

As far as I can figure out from googling the heraldry terms:

The background would be silver (argent).
Across that would be a black band (bend sable) from top left to bottom right, and on that would be two greyhounds running (courant).
On either side of the black band would be a red band (bendlets gules) , half the width of the black one.

At the top of all that would be the crest, which was the upper half of a knight in armour, brandishing a sword.

However, none of the pictures claiming to be of the Trueland coat of arms that I can find online, look anything like that!
Where did you find that description?

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 10 Feb 2017 22:46

I would bear in mind that although anyone can have the same surname that is attributed to a Coat of Arms it won't necessarily follow that the person is entitled to bear (use) it.

I am lucky that a couple of my 17c and 16c ancestors had Coats of Arms as it opened greater areas of research, visitations etc, but it hasn't meant that any of my direct line have been entitled to use it.

Another thing to bear in mind is that sometimes permission is given for a new Coat of Arms where there is a connection to the family. In our case a new CoA was granted in the 16c, exactly the same design with just a small crescent moon added. This was. for someone who we knew nothing about but obviously was closely connected (maybe born on the wrong side of the blanket? :-0 ) Still researching the link!

I think your best course of action would be to contact the College of Arms with your query, however if it isn't straight forward then they will make a charge for research.

Good luck
Chris

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Feb 2017 14:59

PM from Duncan:

hi, thanks very much for such a quick response. it's exactly the information i was looking for. i have never found an image of the Trueland coat of arms - i seem to keep on being redirected to various sites asking for money to conduct a search. anyway, i found this many, many years ago in a description on the origins of the name, something which i've since come to question given my own research. i will, of course, post anything i find concerning this and if there is any way i can be of help to you please don't hesitate to ask. once again thankyou very much for such a quick response to my query.
regards
duncan