Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SUBSCRIPTION TO FIND MY PAST

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 4 Mar 2017 17:14

Hi does anyone please have a subscription to Find My Past whereby they could look up my ancestor below?

Sarah died in 1959.

I can preview the listing but not open it without paying £6 odd. It is saying that the household is closed though.

Sarah Howel 1868 Chatham M.B. Kent

Thank you.

Regards

Kathryn

safc

safc Report 4 Mar 2017 17:18

Sarah Howel on the 1939 Register

1939 Register Transcription

Household (1 Person) 23 First Avenue , Chatham M.B., Kent, England
Attach to tree
View original image
Print
First name(s) Last name(s) Role DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Sarah Howel I 22 Feb 1868 Female Unpaid House Duties Widowed 96 3

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 4 Mar 2017 17:22

Thank you very much safc. Much appreciated. Am just being a skinflint. I loathe to pay £6 odd everytime. I do have a worldwide sub to Ancestry but unfortunately they don't have the 1939 Register, well, not so far as I know.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards

Kathryn

greyghost

greyghost Report 4 Mar 2017 17:28

Although coming up as a single household, the original shows her to be with the following people - who also only come up individually on search

23 First Avenue , Chatham M.B., Kent, England
FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) ROLE DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
John S Briggs I 10 Jun 1887 Male Fitter Labourer Shipyard Married 96 1

23 First Avenue , Chatham M.B., Kent, England
FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) ROLE DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
Sarah J Briggs I 22 Jan 1894 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 96 2

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 4 Mar 2017 18:07

Thank you greyghost for this further information. Am going to check on these names now and see if they are related to Sarah. Your time and help is much appreciated.

Regards

Kathryn

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 4 Mar 2017 18:11

Yes, have just checked. Sarah J was Sarah's daughter and she married John Briggs in 1917.

The FMP site is great for checking on older relatives as it gives their dates of birth and obviously an address.

Not sure if I might at some point subscribe to FMP and unsubscribe from Ancestry.

Regards

Kathryn

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Mar 2017 20:16

Kathryn ................

I now have subs to both ancestry and FMP ................ long time ancestry subscriber and really didn't like FMP, but I decided to try it last year. OH paid for a wor;d wide sub to FMP for me for Christmas

Now I find both sites have their pluses and cons ....... but intend to continue as I often find some of those ancient relatives.

BUT you should note that the date of birth is just as likely to be wrong on the 1939 Register as on any other record ......... it was given by the person themselves so just as likely to the "little white lie".

I've also seen records where only the year or month and year is given .... which could be because someone else in the house gave the information without checking.

and of course marital status (or spouse) can be common law .......

in other words ....... I still don't take anything for correct unless I can double or triple check!!!

I've also found a snag .........

........ someone who emigrated may be dead but still be a closed record as the Register and now FMP need proof of death to open a record. My aunt and uncle are still closed even though they were both born around 1900 .......... but they died in Australia, and I'm not about to pay for Australian death certificates. I fund the record because I knew where they lived in the 1950s, and there was only 1 house that had 8 closed records :-) .

Margaret

Margaret Report 13 Mar 2017 18:57

Hi Kathryn,
your Aunt and Uncle who emigrated- do tell me where they went if you know. Each state has a different system for bmd certificates. Perth is the worst, no digital
copy to be had; Victoria is brillant, instant access if over the 50 years , instant difital copy. i also have some access to other states. If you know where they went, or would like me to try, I can have a look? Names/dates? :-)

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 14 Mar 2017 20:35

Hi Margaret,

Thank you for your post but I believe it is SylviainCanada that had ancestors in Australia.

Kind regards

Kathryn

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Mar 2017 00:04

Margaret ...............

yes, it is I who mentioned relatives in Australia

Thank you for the offer, however ..............

I know when they died.

I know where they are buried

I know when and where the children who also went to Australia died, and where they are buried

That is sufficient for my tree and family history

I have no intention of buying or otherwise obtaining the certificates in order to submit to FMP to prove their death.

They have grandchildren still living in the UK who can do it they so desire.