Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching on GRO site indexes, - JONES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Mar 2017 18:54

Please would someone take a look at what may possibly be an entry for a relative ?

I was searching JONES with mother's maiden name POWELL in Southampton area and put in 1840 plus or minus 2 years.

A Mary Ann shows with differing numbers for possibly the same person, but there is mention of an 'occasional certificate '

What does this mean ???

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Mar 2017 19:24

Looks quite odd but that occasional copy isn't highlighted so guess it wouldn't be issued

Wonder whether when it was being filled in there was errors so they gave up and used the next cert
Each one is numbered and has to accounted for so the cancelled one has had to be passed on to the gro

greyghost

greyghost Report 27 Mar 2017 22:33

From google - http://genealogy.stackexchange.com/questions/12267/what-does-occasional-copy-refer-to-in-the-new-gro-index

Q. What does "Occasional Copy" refer to and why might an entry have this notation?

A. It may be a sign that someone submitted a correction after the initial registration.
I was not able to find a reference from the GRO's guidance on birth certificates, but in the guides provided for clergy and other persons authorised to perform marriages, there is a section that discusses how to submit corrections. Page 24 of A Guide for Authorised Persons, section 5.9 says

There are certain legal requirements for all corrections:
and one of bullet points says:

the quarterly certified copies should also be updated; if they have already been sent to the SR, you must complete an occasional copy form and send it to GRO
SR = Superintendent Registrar

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Mar 2017 17:12

Thank you Shirley and greyghost.

That was a new term for me.............

I will go with the information from image on freebmd site.