Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish transplants

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 29 Mar 2017 01:08

I am wondering if anyone can point me to where to look for Scotsmen sent to America during the early 1700's? Assuming the crown sent them as either punishment or to fight the Indians or both? I have an ancestor that shows up in Pembroke, Massachusetts in 1732. He seems to be in a settlement with Captain Lovewell. Any ideas where I should look for where he came from or how he came to be in New England?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 29 Mar 2017 08:36

Rebecca...What evidence do you have that he was Sottish and a name would be helpful....?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Mar 2017 10:04

People were often sent as Bondsmen i.e. slaves if they'd committed a crime. From memory it was for about 7 years.
You might have to look for court or newspaper reports of a trial but with no idea where he lived, it's going to be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

An alternative, depending on his economic background, was that either he self funded or was a servant.

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 29 Mar 2017 12:00

His name was Thomas McConnell. Family tradition says he claimed to be from "northern Scotland by way of Londonderry ". He was likely born ca. 1690's. Is that too early for the Ulster transplants? Is there a list or roster of men sent as a slave or criminal?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 30 Mar 2017 09:32

Rebecca...In your opening post you have your ancestor in Pembroke Mass.1732 in a settlement with Captain Lovewell ..from what I have read Captain Lovewell appears to have been killed in 1725....???
Was there another Captain with the same name..??
Family tradition is "he came from North Scotland by way of Londonderry"....Could that Londonderry not relate to Londonderry Mass.
As explained its going to be like looking for a needle in a haystack without further backround information.

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 30 Mar 2017 13:27

Yes. Unfortunately that's all I've got. Been looking for him for 15 years. And my notes from my predecessors say the community, (Pembroke) was established by Lovewell, but nothing to indicate my fellow knew Lovewell. Also considered the US Londonderry, but there is no record of him there... However the notes say "by way of" which indicates he only passed thru.... Makes me lean toward Londonderry, Northern Ireland. Perhaps that is the port he left from? I'm not even certain ships left from Londonderry, but it seems possible. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. Seems as tho Thomas McConnell will continue to remain a mystery!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 30 Mar 2017 14:12

Rebecca...Londonderry was indeed a Port and Ships (Brigs) departed from there to the "New World" at the time in question and before, but records are scant and the Brigs carried few passengers...plenty of Church Clergy and their flock escaping Religious Persecution at the time....
What if any dates do you have going forward for Thomas....?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 30 Mar 2017 21:53

In the early 1700's America was still British and a large army was stationed there. A lot of Scots were in the army, so could he have been a soldier?

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 31 Mar 2017 12:35

Thank you both for your insights. It's possible he was a soldier. The property he acquired in America was deeded for Lovewell ' s group as a reward from the crown. However, his property was first deeded to someone else, who I presume died in battle, then written to McConnell. I will need to dig out that fellows name. Perhaps their may be a lead there. I would guess McConnell was his close friend as he probably had no family to inherit the property in America? I'm wondering why McConnell wasn't deeded his own property if was a soldier also?