Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Maker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

joysie4

joysie4 Report 29 Mar 2017 13:26

I have a new pc with windows 10 I have F.T.M. 2014 which I dont like as I prefer the old ones 2005 / 2006 I tried to download it but its not working any advice welcome

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Mar 2017 14:50

Some of them don't work

I have an old FTM 2006 on my. XP tower pc .i bought a new laptop with windows 7 on it and it wouldn't load the FTM 2006 .said it was incompatible

Had to buy the 2012 version but it download from Ancestry my tree that had uploaded from the older version and it put it in the 2012 format .

Windows 10 is ok with the 2012 FTM

joysie4

joysie4 Report 29 Mar 2017 15:54

I have the F.T.M 2006 on my laptop windows 8 which isnt working at the moment but I would like it on my windows 10

Kense

Kense Report 30 Mar 2017 15:28

I have Windows 10 and FTM2014 which I haven't used for a few weeks. On trying it today it said I need to update to FTM2014.1 and a link to a free update was given.

I updated to FTM2014.1 and converted my database to the new format but when I tried syncing to Ancestry it said I need FTM2017 (which is not free).

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 30 Mar 2017 21:40

We have FTM 2005 which transferred to Windows 10 without any trouble. It seems that some versions will transfer and some don't :-S :-S

joysie4

joysie4 Report 14 May 2017 16:15

andysmum

I am still trying to copy the cd onto my new pc I will have another go later what am I doing wrong can I download it from google or can you recommend another one

Thank you joyce m

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 14 May 2017 16:51

Joyce, I don't think you can download FTM, as it comes on a CD.

Have you still got your old computer with FTM on it? What we did was create a back-up on a portable hard drive (memory stick) and then load it on to the new computer.

It sounds as though you have the original CD, so you should be able to load the programme. Once that is done you can download a Gedcom from GR or Ancestry on to it.

I am not an expert, but I hope this helps.

joysie4

joysie4 Report 14 May 2017 22:24

I managed to to put it on my pc at last I never had adobe also everything is on it from a file I had in documents :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 15 May 2017 11:49

Congratulations! :-) :-)

joysie4

joysie4 Report 17 May 2017 08:27

Thank you andysmum It took a while but got there in the end havent done anything yet had other problems to sort out

joyce m :-)

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 25 May 2017 11:31

Check to see if your CD is a 32 or 64 bit. W10 will on accept a 64 bit. Thankfully i have kept and use my old lappy for the 32 bit for the CDs when i need to view any info.

Lorraine