Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Double entry on marriage register?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Squeaky020

Squeaky020 Report 15 Apr 2017 12:53

Is anyone able to tell me why a marriage would be entered onto the register twice with the Grooms surname being different on the entries??

Any advice would be appreciated.

:-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Apr 2017 14:22

It could have been hyphenated, or one was his 'known as' surname. That might occur if he was born a Smith, but raised by and known as a Green as could be the case with a stepfather.

mgnv

mgnv Report 16 Apr 2017 18:51

I hink you'll find the marriage was only entered into the register once, but was indexed in two different ways. This is fairly common in books, e.g., the index might say:
Passchendaele, Battle of ----- see: Ypres, Third Battle of
Ypres, Third Battle of ---- 123-145

Here's another example (from my wife's family):

Marriages Sep 1903 (>99%)
Benson Fred Wigan 8c 243
Benson Frederick Wigan 8c 243
Slevin Margaret Wigan 8c 243

There's only one entry in the register - the name of the groom is given as Fred Benson in the body of the entry, but he signed as Frederick Benson.

If grandma Benson had married, say, Ludvig von Beethoven (gruesome thought, as he'd been dead for quite a while), the groom might be indexed under "Bethoven" and under "von Beethoven".

To take an example closer to yours, before 1912, I might have seen:
Marriages Sep 1903 (>99%)
Benson Frederick Wigan 8c 243
Green Frederick Wigan 8c 243
Slevin Margaret Wigan 8c 243

However, after 1911, FreeBMD would show:

Marriages Sep 1913 (>99%)
Benson Frederick Slevin Wigan 8c 243
Green Frederick Slevin Wigan 8c 243
Slevin Margaret Benson Wigan 8c 243
Slevin Margaret Green Wigan 8c 243

These are not what's entered into the index, but a quirk of the way FreeBMDtranscribes and builds their database.
If I were to look at the image for Margt Slevin's entry, I would see:

Slevin Margaret Benson or Green Wigan 8c 243

but FreeBMD chose to do it their way as it made the coding for searches easier, and the searches faster, without really losing any info.

mgnv

mgnv Report 16 Apr 2017 23:21

Here's a stuation similar to yours - William marries Annie, a WW1 war widow:

Marriages Mar 1918 (>99%)
Hindley William Waite Chorlton 8c 1201
Waite Annie Hindley Chorlton 8c 1201

Marriages Sep 1912 (>99%)
Brunt Annie Waite Chorlton 8c 1767
Waite Arthur Brunt Chorlton 8c 1767

The GRO chose to ignore the fact that Mars Annie Waite was the former Miss Annie Brunt.

However, the GRO isn't the only place one can buy an m.cert - one can also buy one from the rego district that now holds the rego's - Manchester in this case.
Moreover, some local indexes are online - here it's
http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1912
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
Office Registers At Reference
WAITE * Arthur BRUNT Annie Openshaw, St. Barnabas Archives+, Manchester Central Library 107/6/465

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1918
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
HINDLEY * William BRUNT Annie Higher Openshaw, St. Clement Manchester 63/4/414
HINDLEY * William WAITE Annie Higher Openshaw, St. Clement Manchester 63/4/414

Now the * by the name indicates I should click on the name (on the LancsBMD site - not here).
When I do I get the sort of 4 hits I exampled in my 1913 example.
For 1912, LancsBMD decides there's two spellings for Art, viz Wait & Waite.
For 1918, LancsBMD decides Annie's got two surnames.
So what we get is:

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1912
BRUNT Annie WAIT Arthur Openshaw, St. Barnabas Archives+, Manchester Central Library 107/6/465
BRUNT Annie WAITE Arthur Openshaw, St. Barnabas Archives+, Manchester Central Library 107/6/465
WAIT Arthur BRUNT Annie Openshaw, St. Barnabas Archives+, Manchester Central Library 107/6/465
WAITE Arthur BRUNT Annie Openshaw, St. Barnabas Archives+, Manchester Central Library 107/6/465

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1918
BRUNT Annie HINDLEY William Higher Openshaw, St. Clement Manchester 63/4/414
HINDLEY William BRUNT Annie Higher Openshaw, St. Clement Manchester 63/4/414
HINDLEY William WAITE Annie Higher Openshaw, St. Clement Manchester 63/4/414
WAITE Annie HINDLEY William Higher Openshaw, St. Clement Manchester 63/4/414

As you can see from the above local refs, they're quite difft from the GRO ref, as the records are stored diff'tly.
The local office has a copy of every church rego (or it's own rego's for rego office marrs and for marrs conducted in non-conformist churches, etc, they don't keep their own rego pre-1898, this was all non-conformist except jews and quakers - the law was changed in 1898m and non-conformists could apply to become authorized to keep their own official marr rego's, so the local registrar or his assistant didn't need to attend. Most non-conformists did apply, and were approved by 1905 at the latest. The major exception was RC's who chose not to apply until 1980-ish.)

So the local ref has a code for the church - which is decoded here, but isn't on some local sites. The second part is a sequence number for the rego within it's code, and the final part is a page or entry number for each entry.
For marrs, the index nearly always uses an entry #, so one knows who wed whom.
There's a max of 500 entries per rego, and local rego's always have 5 entries per page for Bs & Ds, and 2 entries per page for Ms.

Willam (like his mum) was born in Astley. The 3 townships or civil parishes of Astley, Bedford and Culceth formed the Culceth subdistrict of Leigh RD.
Bs & Ds were rego'ed at the subdistrict office, raher than the main district office. This was usually more convenient - there wasn't a great deal of difference here, but it could be substantial in some RDs.

Here's Wm's birth, plus his mum's:

Births Sep 1877 (>99%)
HINDLEY William Leigh 8c 236

Births Dec 1847 (>99%)
LEE Alice Leigh 21 499

and here's the local look-up

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1876
Surname Forename(s) Mother's Maiden Name Sub-District Registers At Reference
HINDLEY William LEE Culcheth Wigan & Leigh CUL/30/387

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1847
Surname Forename(s) Mother's Maiden Name Sub-District Registers At Reference
LEE Alice GRUNDY Culcheth Wigan & Leigh CUL/7/214

Although it's decoded here, it is often possible to guess the subdistrict from its code - well, CUL stands for Culceth isn't too big a leap.

Now the purpose of an index is supposedly to enable folk to find the right cert they're looking for, so the local index often indexes by year of birth, rather than by quarter of registration.
This can make a difference, although I'm sure many researchers here, when failing to find an 1885q2 birth would immediately guess it was rego'ed in 1948q2, just 63 years late.
Now I'll admit it wasn't with the GRO, and, if it had been, the GRO would probably added a footnote to the 1885q2 page saying "see Jun 1948",
Nevertheless, abt 4% of births happen in the last 2 weeks of the year and,what with it being Xmas and all, I'll bet the majority of these aren't rego'ed until after New Years, so abt 3^ of each years births are rego'ed in the "wrong" year, misleading tens of 1000s of folk.

Here's the late rego:
http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141A1b.aspx?culture=en-CA&guid=0dddf8b8-a866-4762-b397-fec3e82b07fc
The informant is her older sister, an occupant of the house who, although not present for the birth itself, does give compelling cicumstantial evidence in a sworn statement made before a JP.
The b.cert is signde by the Registrar-General for New Brunswick - roughly equivalent to the R-G of the GRO.

There are more local indexes at http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd

Squeaky020

Squeaky020 Report 29 Apr 2017 16:44

Thank you for all the info MGNV :-D