Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adding information on an Ancestry tree .

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 16 Apr 2017 09:30

I am taking full advantage of their free weekend as I belong to,the U.K. one but have a lot of an ancestors in Canada

On the 1921 the father of children died young mother remarried and they have all changed their name to their step father's one I cannot see how to add Census page and explain the children were not born with that new surname.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Apr 2017 11:27

See if this works.
Click on the child's name in the transcript. There's usually an option to 'save to someone else in your tree'. Click that then type in the child's name as it was at birth. The name should appear. Select and save.
You'd need to do the same for each child.

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 16 Apr 2017 14:43

Thanks for that idea, I do not want it to appear as an extra person and not the same one already there you would think there would be an area to add a note so other people and myself viewing it remember they changed their name after new marriage of mother. I usually add notes like that on my Family Tree software but am away and only have my iPad with me to use while these are free.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Apr 2017 18:17

Once you've saved the census, try editing the timeline entry to say something in description box like 'Recorded under stepfather's surname of xxx'

Kense

Kense Report 16 Apr 2017 18:52

One of the facts you can put in the Ancestry tree is Also Known As. You can use that to put the other name in.

When you save a transcript to a person in your tree you do not have to take the whole transcript only those parts you know are correct.