Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bluebell girl in stalker shooting?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 19 Apr 2017 21:18

My wife's 1st cousin once removed. Iris D James (Taylor) b 1923, passed away Feb 2017 and married Denis L James 1950. At her funeral her life story and pictures shared. Many were surprised to discover she was a Bluebell girl! Part of the message I received from my wife cousin Di is as follows “Also there's a story that needs researching ........! Iris was involved with a man who ill-treated her and she ran off to Aunt Ann's in London. He came after her and there was a gun involved - the story was a bit different depending on who was telling it - someone said that she was shot!!! However, apparently it was all in the Newspapers at the time. Is that enough to go on to find out more???? I will get the photos scanned soon and send them to you.” Looking at the history of the Bluebell girls and her age I assume Iris Taylor was a Bluebell girl 1945 to 1950 and the story would have been reported around that time. I have tried a few newspaper searches sites but nothing to date. Aunt Ann was in Stroud in 1935 to 1943. I’ve ordered their marriage certificate today but wonder if anyone fancies a challenge and can find a thread of truth to this life story or a tale? I’m still waiting for the Bluebell photographs of Iris and others but I'll chase up that soon.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 20 Apr 2017 16:54

Hello Andy- I've had to work today, but will probably be around tomorrow to take a look.

Can you just confirm that she was born in Kings Norton so I know I'm searching for the correct Iris, and do you know what the D initial stands for?

Also, do you know if she lived in the Birmingham/ Worcestershire area before fleeing to her Aunts?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Apr 2017 17:19

There is an announcement on the following link, which refers to her as Jackie.

Her middle name is shown as Doreen.

http://www.bmdsonline.co.uk/birmingham-mail/obituary/james-iris/49272612?s_source=tmmi_bmem

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 20 Apr 2017 17:27

Thanks Gwyn. There's nothing immediate coming up on the papers, but I'll have a proper delve tomorrow.

I've just spotted her listed on the electoral register in 2002 at Broughton Crescent- seems that was also the Road where she grew up- her parents were there in 1939:

77 Broughton Crescent , Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire, England

Ernest Taylor 29 Jul 1894 Male Foreman Gear Box Fitters Married
Ellen Taylor 09 Feb 1894 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married
Closed Record
Closed Record

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 20 Apr 2017 17:47

Maybe I've got the wrong side of the family for the Aunt- but Iris mother's sister, Ann, appears to be in Bromsgrove in 1939 - not Stroud (Truemans Heath Lane- I have a family member that lives on that lane!).

1939:
Critchlow Household 4 Truemans Heath Lane , Bromsgrove R.D., Worcestershire, England

Charles H Critchlow 15 Oct 1908 Male Wood Ferrous & Gas ? Contractor (Heavy Worker) Married
Ann S F Turner (Critchlow) 20 Oct 1906 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married
Anton C Turner (Critchlow) 04 Jul 1939 Male Under School Age Single

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 20 Apr 2017 18:22

You have the correct family. Aunt Ann was often in Stroud with her sister Rose they were both publicans. The family have only referred to Iris as Iris. My wife's extended family seem to adopt new names for fun of it! The announcement is correct the funeral was March 20th but I asked if there was an order of service as I didn't know when she passed away till your posts, she died unexpectedly of an aneurysm. I have only used Iris Taylor to date I share with Di who sent me the challenge and get her and her sisters Jilly if there was anything more to go on.

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 20 Apr 2017 21:10

Aunt Ann married her 2nd husband Alfred on 27th Sept 1951 at the Register Office, Stroud, Gloucestershire. And were landlords at the Fleece Inn in Stroud in 1959 when their son Anton was married (he was a police constable). Maybe she ran away to Stroud. I have got one photo of Alfred in ~1945 and a number of Ann. AustinQ imagine if your relative on Truemans Heath Lane knew or has a photo of Charles H Critchlow. I'd do some swaps. :-D

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 21 Apr 2017 12:47

Unfortunately my relative didn't move there until the late 1980s and having a quick google they live at the opposite end of the lane.

I can't see anything re Iris in the papers. If she was a Bluebell girl was she in Paris?

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 5 May 2017 21:00

Iris Doreen Taylor married Dennis Leonard James 28th Oct 1950, both professions recorded as Clerk. As Dennis passed away 2010 I would assume story is still most likely 1945 to 1950. I cannot find anything for a Jackie Taylor so she may have had a full stage name? Di is yet to pass on the photo or photographs of her. My wife's aunt Angela woke my wife pinging me a Facebook message at 4.38 Thursday morning, she couldn't sleep and spent 3 hours goggling Bluebell girl photographs hoping to see Iris but she had no luck. Only plus the ping did not wake me. :)