Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a Birth Date without a Birth Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachel

Rachel Report 8 May 2017 18:42

I have a former school teacher with whom I have kept in touch by annual letter for many years. She will be a hundred years old at the end of 2017 but I have no idea of the date, other than the reference for her birth which is in the fourth quarter. She is 300 hundred miles away, still lives alone, no other former school friends have any idea and the school ceased to exist some years ago. I would like to mark this special birthday but need to find the date she was born. Any ideas how I might do this without applying for a copy of her birth certificate which seems excessively intrusive?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 May 2017 18:57

Although her entry on the 1939 register should be closed, you could see if it's been inadvertently opened. However, if she were single, she might not appear with her family as could have enlisted.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 May 2017 19:02

Have you looked at this?
https://www.gov.uk/get-birthday-anniversary-message-from-queen

Check what requirements are needed via the PDF download.
You may find you need the BC anyway.
As she still lives alone, she probably has some SS input. However, even if you were to contact them, they wouldn't divulge her dob.
Had she ever mentioned a club or church she has contact with? Perhaps they could ask her for you.

patchem

patchem Report 8 May 2017 21:47

Any chance that a baptism/christening exists for her - do you know where she was born?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 May 2017 08:56

If you don't want to get her birth cert then maybe a letter saying you know it's her 100th this year and you would like to mark the special occasion on the actual day if shewoukd let you know the date

That wouldn't offend :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 May 2017 17:44

Her birthday could be as early as August.

Has she ever mentioned anyone visiting to celebrate with her in previous years, particularly the 70, 80 or 90 landmark ones?

Was she an only child?
Does she or a sibling feature in anyone's tree on this site?
A close relative might be able to help.

Rachel

Rachel Report 9 May 2017 19:53

Very many thanks DetEcTive, Patchem, Shirley and Gwyn for your helpful suggestions.

I couldn't find her on anyone else's tree, and so far, I haven't found a baptism certificate. However, I will try her local church as they may well know something. Failing that, I guess I will just bite the bullet and write to her!

Many thanks again and all good wishes
Rachel

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 May 2017 22:09

I'd be tempted to spend the £9.25 to buy her birth certificate

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 May 2017 09:32

As she lives alone maybe no one has written to the lord chamberlain for her 100th birthday greeting from the queen

I think I would get her birth cert and set the ball rolling . If a request has already been sent for her card they will let you know .

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 11 May 2017 10:37

Have you looked for a birth announcement in a newspaper?

Rachel

Rachel Report 11 May 2017 19:30

Many thanks Londonbelle, that's a good idea.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 May 2017 08:01

What about trying to find her father's www1 records .if they still exist
Often the actual birth dates are on them

Rachel

Rachel Report 14 May 2017 10:09

Thanks all,
I have written to ask her!
Kind regards