Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find Court Records please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

rosyface

rosyface Report 15 May 2017 08:23

An 'affiliation order' (an unmarried man must pay support to the mother of his child) was made in 1933 between the birth parents of an illegitimate relative... at least I think it was my relative!

How can I get the details of the proceedings and therefore hopefully the baby's name?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

malyon

malyon Report 15 May 2017 09:47

you could try bdm put the birth parents names and area in

rosyface

rosyface Report 15 May 2017 10:12

Thank you Malyon. Unfortunately the parents weren't married, and the father's name doesn't appear on the baby's birth certificate. We don't know who the father was, I am just assuming it may be this man.

I know the mother and baby's names for certain ( I have a copy of the birth certificate) but I came across a newspaper article online about a father being taken to court for non-payment of maintenance (right location, right date, right mother's name). I put 2 + 2 together (dangerous.. I know!) and thought if I can get hold of the court records it should show the baby's name & DOB, then I will know if he is the father.

I can't find out any other information about the man in the article, other than his name and address in 1933. Searches on his name prove fruitless.

So I was wondering if there is any way to get hold of a copy of the court documents...

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 May 2017 10:18

Welcome to the boards

Go to https://www.freebmd.org.uk
As the child was illegitimate, search for their birth reg using the mother's maiden name in both the surname & mothers maiden name box. If you think the father may be named on the certificate, click on the volume number. That'll show all entries wiki the same reg numbers.
E.g. You might find an entry listed as
Smith George mmn Smith vol 2b page 123

Clicking on 123 will show other names and possibly
Green George mmn Smith suggesting that Mr Green was named as the father.

There's only one certificate; it's just the way it's indexed.
Added - you added while I was typing & you already have a copy of the BC.

As for court orders - you'd need to search on the internet for the most likely court & make enquiries there. It's possible the papers have been destroyed.

Try search online historical newspapers in case there was a report there.
Added - you've already done this.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 May 2017 10:24

You say you can't find any further reference to the possible father? As he's probably died by now, would you like us to have a look?

Although there's no guarantee that any surviving legitimate children know anything about the child, it might be worth tracing them to tactfully ask.

rosyface

rosyface Report 15 May 2017 12:12

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.
That would be amazing if you are able to have a look for him. But I probably should first establish that he is the right man, by getting those court records.
Thanks again.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 May 2017 17:30

The case was probably heard in the local Magistrate Court. The Magistrate Court Record Books should be kept at the local archives for the area where the couple lived.

If you live near by you can search the original records as long as they are more than 30 years old - which they would be in this case. If you don't live near by then as you probably have the year of birth someone at the archives may be willing to search the records for you.

Kath. x

rosyface

rosyface Report 15 May 2017 18:10

Great advice - thanks Kath. I should probably start there!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 16 May 2017 22:20

He could be on the 1939 register.if the name isnt too common it will iist his date of birth,

rosyface

rosyface Report 19 May 2017 17:30

Thanks Kay - sadly he isn't there. will keep searching...

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 May 2017 09:34

The man should be on electoral rolls for 1932 /1933 /1934.

Not sure how that would determine whether or not he's the correct man, but it might give a bit of background information.

rosyface

rosyface Report 20 May 2017 14:43

Thanks Gwyn. I really need the Court Records, so it reveals the baby's name. I think that is my only way. I have written to the Courts as Kathleen suggested.

Many thanks for all your responses
Penny