Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unusual First Names

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 15 Jul 2007 19:04

Perhaps the Beckams and co have got the right idea giving their kids unique or unusual first names. Think how much easier they'll be able to trace by people doing their family trees in the future lol... Maybe we should all consider calling out children something strange........ What's the strangest first name in your family tree?

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jul 2007 19:07

It,s a good job brooklyn wasnt born in Peckham lol.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 15 Jul 2007 19:13

Ortraymur

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 15 Jul 2007 19:32

Rather boring my bunch, the only diversion from the norm is Loveday, although her family made a good job of making it a common name at least where they lived lol. I did see someone called Hitchins while I was searching today.

*Sharm

*Sharm Report 15 Jul 2007 19:43

Well i have a Smith Smith, son of Starkie Smith his mother, and a Paraysitis whos cousin was Roxiana.(both girls)

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 15 Jul 2007 19:54

'Paraysitis' LOL poor child, she sounds like a disease. Oh and Quick Nutter, what an absolute gem.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 15 Jul 2007 20:54

My great aunt was Eflina. Sue

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 15 Jul 2007 20:55

I have quite a few: Bathsheba and Kerrenhappuck - both bible names Leadenham Valentine - for a man Mattan I'm sure there will be plenty more......... Vicky

Chief Cook And Bottle Washer

Chief Cook And Bottle Washer Report 15 Jul 2007 21:01

I have a Bathsheba , a Snowdon and my father was Cresswell # I did want to call my son Cresswell as his middle name, but my dad threatened to disown me if I did , As im an only child I thought Id better not risk it LOL!

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 15 Jul 2007 21:05

I too have a few. My uncle was Yovon, I have a Cinderella, Madona and a Major but the strangest one is Rabi Rudolphus Manafish Joshua! Pat

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 15 Jul 2007 23:08

My great grandfather was always known as Titus (which was his middle name). One of my more distant twigs is called Tilden (male). And there are a couple of Philadelphias (female) kicking around - one on my OH's tree and one on my son's (ex-husband's) tree. Most of mine are fairly boring though. Jill

Moggie

Moggie Report 16 Jul 2007 09:12

Narcissus Charles Proby who was the rector of Tuddenham St Mary, Suffolk in 1796. Maureen

Frances

Frances Report 16 Jul 2007 09:13

My g.grandfather was Septimus - yes, he was the 7th son.

Steven

Steven Report 16 Jul 2007 09:34

Only one out of the ordinary i have found so far is Ephraim. Funny thing is before i found out he was related, i remember seeing the name on a census and thinking 'wish i had a name like that in my family, would be so much easier to search for than the Williams, Margarets and Elizabeths that i'm currently trawling through'!

SydneyDi

SydneyDi Report 16 Jul 2007 10:58

While we have a few unusual Biblical names - Ephraim, Gideon, Emmanuel, Job etc, our most unusual is Cleveland. We have Philadelphias, too, popular in Sussex apparently; Our most unusual girl's name is Exton (Cole) who married to be Exton Banton. Did she have a nickname like Essie ? And Harwood William Tupper, who was known to the family as Uncle Tupper Di

Julie

Julie Report 16 Jul 2007 12:22

I also have Philadelphia's from Sussex plus Ephraim, Levi and Jabez I also have Denham from essex. Seems particular only to my Tween branch. I have an Hezekiah Ceily in Suffolk and I called my own daughter Melieha!!

Bo

Bo Report 16 Jul 2007 12:38

Pelling, Stainsby, Gillery, Eversfield, Botry, Hotham and Pouncey (yes really!) for the boys and one Theodosia - the ladies of family seem to have avoided the worse excesses! but don't start me on my ancesters use of Francis/Frances for that I could cheerfully give them hours of stern lectures! Bo

Whisky Soda

Whisky Soda Report 16 Jul 2007 13:29

Hi In my OH side he has Elatch Balls Made him smile Ann

Victoria

Victoria Report 17 Jul 2007 07:12

I have a Hezekiah too - and also a Glephyria (there are a lot of versions of that on various census) which actually makes her quite hard to find. However, when I DO find Glephyria Ann Clyma Salmon I am quite certain she IS mine!! There were a lot of Biblical names in one side of the family and the story goes that sometime in the 1930s (I think it was) some of the first American tourists motored into the village, stopped to read the plaque on the Flood Cottages, and asked the woman in her garden about the flood. She said she didn't know much about it, but she would call Noah. Now Noah was of course her husband, but by the time she turned around the Americans had taken off in a cloud of dust!! Victoria

Lesley

Lesley Report 17 Jul 2007 08:54

I have a few unusual names in my tree.At least,unusual to me !.We have Caleb, Lila,Redvers and Drusilla.