Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

War time babies

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dizzy

Dizzy Report 11 May 2007 21:57

This may be really obvious to most people but I thought it worth a tip. See below:

Dizzy

Dizzy Report 11 May 2007 21:58

Had a chat with my Dad today and he asked if I realised why his sister was born in Northamptonshire when the family lived in London. I hadn't thought about it but the reason was that it was war time and apparently expectant mothers were sent away in the same way that children were evacuated. My Gran spent approx. 2 weeks in Northamptonshire, we don't know where or who with (there was no family there that we know of. She came back with her new baby, born June 1943. So if you have trouble finding births during the war years that may be why! dizzy

Judith

Judith Report 11 May 2007 23:03

Yes, my brother was born in Derbyshire because expectant mothers from Tottenham were evacuated there - organised by the Salvation Army. He has the impressive address 'Willersley Castle' on his birth certificate. Mum was lodged with a lady in a small village, then was taken to the Castle (actually a large house) to give birth. I've just dug out the newspaper cutting that mum kept - 'Safety for 4,000 London Mothers to be Four thousand expectant mothers from London have been billeted in Wirksworth, Derbyshire, it was disclosed byt he Urban District Council. Wilersley Castle, which is nearby, became a maternity home for London mothers shortly after the outbreak of war.' and I remember some correspondence in Family Tree Magazine a few years ago when several similar schemes were mentioned.

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 12 May 2007 08:47

Hi Judith, I to was born in Willersley Castle in Matlock Derbyshire during the war my parents lived in Tottenham. I went to see the place a few years ago and it is really nice there. at the time my parents were living in Lordship Lane. Also there is a photo of it on the net. Margaret x

Dizzy

Dizzy Report 12 May 2007 10:04

That's odd because my Gran was living in Tottenham too but she went to Northamptonshire, I wonder why. dizzy

Shelley

Shelley Report 12 May 2007 10:54

Judith & Margaret, I'm so glad I read your messages. I too have a relative born at that castle during the war and until now I couldn't decipher the place of birth on the certificate. Thank you. Shelley

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 12 May 2007 12:02

My birth certificate is in the most beautiful handwriting so very clear. Dizzy where abouts in Tottenham did your grandmother live Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 May 2007 12:16

My Mother was sent from London to Cheltenham in 1941. I'm sure it was done for the best reasons but it must have been a terrible experience for her. A strange part of the country, her first child and no family or friends. M. Steer

Shelley

Shelley Report 12 May 2007 12:35

Hi Margaret, The most I could read was Willoghby Castle, but nothing ever came up when I googled it. That branch of the family were from the Clapton area.

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 12 May 2007 14:33

Hi Shirley if you put in Willersley Castle it is the second and third one down Derbyshire Margaret

Judith

Judith Report 12 May 2007 16:46

Sorry Dizzy we've hi jacked your thread rather. Margaret I went with my brother a few years ago to visit the area, and agree its very nice. We walked up through the hills to the village where mum stayed as well. Since then Peter has actually stayed at Willersley Castle as its run as a conference centre. I did suggest he should ask for his old room ! By the way mum lived in St Paul's Road, Tottenham, a turning of Park Lane right near the Spurs ground. When I was little we used to go there to stay with my nan and I remember Lordship Lane which led through to Wood Green - we went that way to Ally Pally :-)

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 12 May 2007 17:07

Hi Judith I have lived in several places in Tottenham Earlesmead Rd near Seven Sisters Arnold Rd near the bus garage Mount Pleasant rd knew tittenham like the back of my hand at one time.Always used to go to the Ally Pally and the dive. my brother and sister still live there I do not Margaret

T.J.

T.J. Report 12 May 2007 17:36

I am so glad I read this. I couldn't find my Mum's sister. The only Jean Fowler I found was born in Leeds......So that must be her born in 1940. Thanks a bunch peeps!!! By the way my other half is from Tottenham. Warpole Road.

Thinking of giving up...

Thinking of giving up... Report 12 May 2007 22:10

This is interesting as my grandmother was also evacuated early WWII years - but as she lived in S London she was rumoured to have gone to Devon. Did it depend on which part of London they lived in as to where they were evacuated? I would love to find out more about this and will contact the Salvation Army.

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 12 May 2007 23:16

We lived in Islington in London and my Mum was sent to Cheltenham to have my sister born in 1941. My Aunt, who also lived in Islington was sent in 1943 to Cornwall to have her son. Jean x.

Shelley

Shelley Report 15 May 2007 18:24

Hi Margaret, Thanks for that. Shelley

Patricia

Patricia Report 12 Jul 2012 04:34

Have been reading all your articles, I live in Australia, but came from the Upper Clapton area, my mother was evacuated to Matlock in Derbyshire, I was born in Willersley Castle also, you can get a lot of information if you google it. On a visit to the Uk about 21 years ago went and visited my birthplace, it is more a stately home. Trish

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jul 2012 10:14

We lived in SE london. and in Sept just us kids went to Tunbridge Wells in Kent. Mum didn't go with us as she was just two weeks from giving birth and she wanted to stay to look after dad who was a shift worker at the Woolwich Arsenal.

When Kent got too hairy to live in cos they were bombing the airfields i went back to London for abur 3 months and then was sent to Birmingham , Mum went too then with another baby that was born in 1941. The sister born in 1949 went to Colne in Lancashire. I didnt return home til Jan 1946.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jul 2012 10:17

Oh have just seen Auntie Jean had replied on this thread too. Such a lovely lady and very much missed.

Gogo

Gogo Report 24 Feb 2014 19:47

Hi I have just found this site and joined genes united, I would like to ask if ther is anybody out there who was born 1944 at willersley castle Matlock and lives in the enfield/ southgate area?. My mother lived before being evacuated in Edmonton the name of Lyon.