Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Five Wells Brentwood Essex

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

juma

juma Report 14 Mar 2007 15:36

Does anyone remember this place in Queens Road in 1952 and if it was a pub, restaurant or hotel? I have this on a marriage certificate. Thanks for any help.

Dean

Dean Report 14 Mar 2007 17:18

Hello Julie What number was the address?, there is a pub on this street which is 88 Queens Road, it is now called The Spread Eagle. Not much else along the road apart from a school and houses unless it might have been a B&B. Thanks Dean

juma

juma Report 15 Mar 2007 09:06

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the cert just gives Queens Rd, no number. The persons occupation was shown as waitress at this address. Julie

Carol

Carol Report 27 Mar 2013 22:37

five wells was a big old mansion i went to school with the three godden boys who lived there around 1956 there mother died and they were sent to australia and never heard of them again it was a beautiful old house with lovely gardens

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Mar 2013 23:03

Carol - Julie posted 6 years ago, and may not be checking the thread any more.

You could send her a personal message by clicking on her name. If she still has the same email address, GR will email to say that you are trying to contact her.

Wouldn't it be a surprise if the boys you knew, were the family she was writing about?

juma

juma Report 28 Mar 2013 10:38

Carol
I know nothing on the family who lived there or what the building was, in fact I thought it was maybe a restaurant or hotel.! . A family member worked there in early 1950's and occupation on marriage certificate was 'waitress at Five Wells'. Many thanks for replying. Much appreciated
Julie

Rodney

Rodney Report 30 Apr 2016 00:36

I know a member of the Godden family, the youngest one who lives here in Sydney.
The eldest (Guy) was killed during the Vietnam war. The other 2 brothers live in Tasmania with their families.
They were at Five Wells when their mother died at the age of 30 in 1957.
The boys were sent to Tasmania in 1958.
Donald Doig , a close friend of the family was involved in running the home as a guest house in the mid to late 1950s, possibly because their mother had become quite ill and that their father had left the home and would remarry a Portuguese immigrant.

Rod

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Apr 2016 09:03

Rod, as several years have passed since both Juma and Carol posted it might be an idea if you sent both of them a private message by clicking on their names. As long as they are still using the same linked email address, they'll be able to read it and reply.

It's fantastic that you've been able to solve 2 mysteries in one go :-D