Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Might help a bit

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 1 Mar 2007 12:50

I thought I'd share somethings I do which I think help a bit. New family historians may find this useful especially. I use a fan chart like those you can download on this site to put in direct ancestors. This immediately shows you which bit of your tree has big gaps in it. I have also done a chart for all my ancestors who have lived since civil registration began. I've listed them and put columns for each of the censuses, each type of certificate, whether I have seen them in original parish records, wills etc. Do as many columns as you need for the types of information you are finding. As I find evidence I tick the right column. It then helps me see where I still need to find proof or any gaps in census information. Sue