Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WHO ARE THESE PHOTOS OF???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marie

Marie Report 23 Jan 2007 19:28

I have a big bag of photos that were my nans, but none of them say who they are of on them, and there are no living relatives that can tell me who they are of. PLEASE HELP

Sidami

Sidami Report 23 Jan 2007 19:47

Go round to your relations on your Nan's side see if they can put names on them for you.

Germaine

Germaine Report 23 Jan 2007 23:01

Yes like sue says go round relatives. Whatever you do don't throw them I found that out the hard way. Have you looked carefully on the back of them I had one and always thought it was my Great Grandfather when I looked at it closer in very very faint pencil hardly could see it there it was his name turned out ot be my G Great Grandfather. I must have misunderstood as she told me when I was a little girl. Good Luck hope you find out who they are. Germaine x

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 24 Jan 2007 22:43

Hang on to the photo's, whatever you do. I have some that belonged to my Mum and there were some of what was obviously an American soldier and some other 'unknowns'.. After finding a second cousin in the States, I scanned these photos photo's over to her and she was able to identify them. They turned out to be Mum's cousins (my second cousin's uncle, aunt and cousin). This has prompted me to make sure that I have names written on the back of my 'old' photo's just to make sure my kids don't throw them away after I have left this planet! Teresa

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 25 Jan 2007 09:38

Hi Marie, Had a similar problem when my mums sister died. We went to sort the house out and found many old photos, some I did recognise but there were many pre 1945. Unfortunately, our aunt was the last of her generation on that side of the family so there was no one to ask. But I came home, took out all my photos, even holiday snaps, and wrote the place, date and who they were on the back of each one. Even I had to stop and get the old grey matter working to remember this info. One very sad thing I have seen recently is the number of old, and quite 'posh' style photos, (because of the obvious quality of the clothes they are wearing) being sold at boot fairs. I would give my eye teeth to have rellies I could display, all I have are the type of snaps taken on a box Brownie, but at least I do have likenesses of my long dead relations. Kathlyn

Marie

Marie Report 13 Mar 2013 18:23

wow taken me a few years to reply..... havent been on here to see them.
im afraid theres no one i can ask from my nans side, this is where my problem arises
:(

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 13 Mar 2013 21:31

You might find that any of your older relatives no matter which side of the family they are from may know who some of the photos are of.

Remember in years gone by most families knew one another so both sides would probably have been 'friends or neighbours'

I recently found out that both my paternal grandparents lived in the same street for years with their parents before they married. I knew they lived close to each other but not on the same street.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 13 Mar 2013 22:30

My OH inherited a suitcase full of photos from his great aunt. Some are labelled, others he has identified and many he hasn't. Some of these are obviously relatives (one is remarkably like our son as a baby!!) so we have put a selection on Keepsafe, as open to all to view, and titled with the surnames in question.

Anybody putting those surnames in the Search box will be able to see them, and you never know - we might be lucky. We have also sent messages to all relevant contacts, and live in hope!!