Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Plse help find alternatives for this name!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracy Jane

Tracy Jane Report 27 Oct 2006 00:53

I have a branch of tree go dead on me! I have a family member called AMOS TERRELL (b.1838 Bedford). He is married to FRANCES TERRELL (b. 1846 Woolaston) and I can find them on both the 1891 and 1881 census (living in Woolaston, Glos). In 1871 they SHOULD be together (they had a son Joseph in 1865 and James in 1870). But they have dissapeared. I also cannot find Amos on ANY other census before 1881. I have tried many alternatives to the surname - Tyrell, Tearle, Tirell etc but he has just vanished! Am I missing something glaringly obvious here! Grrrrrrrr - so frustrating.

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 27 Oct 2006 01:17

Ahh the amazing disappearing and reappearing ancestors... I've had a few. Some have been located with help from kind members on here, but some still remain a mistery. Have you tried Ferrell? As the fancy T's sometimes get mistaken for F's? If you knew where they were born, then you could try searching just the first name and birth town (and year of birth if you need to narrow it down). I found a couple of mine that way because of misspelt surnames. Liz

Joe ex Bexleyheath

Joe ex Bexleyheath Report 27 Oct 2006 01:29

Amos is not exactly an everyday name Try and search for Amos ...... in Woolaston Gloucs.

Buggy21

Buggy21 Report 27 Oct 2006 02:07

Hi There.... Think that this ma be your family...... Hope it helps! Angie. Name: Amos Terrell Age: 53 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1838 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Frances Gender: Male Where born: Bedford (Bedfordshire), Bedford (Bedfordshire) Civil Parish: Woolaston Ecclesiastical parish: Woolaston County/Island: Gloucestershire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View Image Registration district: Chepstow Sub-registration district: Lydney ED, institution, or vessel: 1 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Amos Terrell 53 Edith Terrell 12 Emma Terrell 16 Frances Terrell 45 Frances Terrell 7 James Terrell 21 John Terrell 4 Sarah Terrell 19 William Terrell 14

Buggy21

Buggy21 Report 27 Oct 2006 02:08

Sorry didn't read the question properly.........Will go back and check again. Angie.

Georgina

Georgina Report 27 Oct 2006 05:26

Tracy it might help if you get 1 of the childrens birth certificates... Births Dec 1875 Terrell Emma Chepstow 11a 16 Births Dec 1877 Terrell William George Chepstow 11a 18 Births Dec 1879 Terrell Edith Mary Chepstow 11a 13 Births Mar 1884 Terrell Frances Harriet Chepstow 11a 21 Births Sep 1886 Terrell John Amos Chepstow 11a 11 UPDATE: I think this is their marriage... Marriages Jun 1864 Hopkin Edwin Chepstow 11a 28 Parker Emma Chepstow 11a 28 >>>Reekes Frances Chepstow 11a 28 >>>Terrell John Amos Chepstow 11a 28 Georgina.

Tracy Jane

Tracy Jane Report 27 Oct 2006 13:59

Thank you everyone. I did trying just searching on first names for both Amos and Frances on the 1871 census - but it came up with nothing. Obviously somewhere along the line, the spelling has been changed or mistranscribed. I am going to do some more searching tonight using your suggestions. If that brings nothing, then I will order a birth or marriage cert (the are very slow coming back at the moment). Thanks again. If you find anymore please let me know - I need all the help I can get LOL

Susan

Susan Report 20 Apr 2013 10:25

try the Tearle website - they are highly likely to be Tearles if they are from bedfordshire

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Apr 2013 11:10

Welcome to the Boards Susan.

Tracy Jane last posted in 2006 and may not check her thread or even be a member. You could send her a PM by clicking on her name. Assuming she is still using the same registered email address, GR will let her know that you are trying to contact you.

It’s always worth checking the last date on a thread before posting on one.