Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grocer's Apostrophe?

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Her Indoors

Her Indoors Report 27 Aug 2006 16:48

Has anyone else had a play with the new 'beta' family tree feature? It all looks a bit busy, but I find the reference to PHOTO'S, with the appalling grocer's apostrophe, laughable. There are enough software features that are crying out for tweaking on this site, without introducing such illiterate crap!

Dea

Dea Report 27 Aug 2006 16:50

Have you been reading Ed's threads??????????????? Dea x ''.x P.S. - - Not meaning to offend, as I can't really remember what they taught me at school, BUT shouldn't it be Grocers' apostrophe ?????????????????? Dea Xxx

Her Indoors

Her Indoors Report 27 Aug 2006 16:51

Who's Ed?

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Aug 2006 17:00

I'd rather have a baker's dozen than a grocer's apostrophe. I've often had a butcher's hook. nell

Dea

Dea Report 27 Aug 2006 17:01

LOL Meercat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dea XXX

Her Indoors

Her Indoors Report 27 Aug 2006 17:05

Dea: wouldn't that depend upon the number of grocers?

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Aug 2006 17:08

A gross of grocers is worth two in the bush.

Her Indoors

Her Indoors Report 27 Aug 2006 17:12

No they don't, but they might have tailors' apostrophes.

Dea

Dea Report 27 Aug 2006 17:14

Clive, You are totally correct, however, the way I read what you were referring to, I thought you were referring to Grocers in general - In which case it would be in the other place.?? Gosh, this is complicated isn't it?? - It's no wonder they have stopped teaching Grammar to young children. !!!!!!!!!!!!! Dea Xxx (She who has a strange sense of humour but NEVER wishes to offend !!)

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 27 Aug 2006 17:17

Is PHOTO'S wrong? Being a pedant, could it not be an abbreviation of PHOTOGRAPHS?

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 27 Aug 2006 17:19

Let me just add, the only Grammer I learnt was in Junior School. (God,can't believe I spelt Grammar like that. Spellings my strong subject!)

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 27 Aug 2006 17:20

I can't see the problem. Obviously Mr (or, to be politically correct, Mrs or Ms) Photo has not yet added whatever they are going to add. It says so. Whatever they add will belong to them, hence the empty space is quite correctly labelled. Tina (wondering if the slight difficulty with grammer gives some indication of the age of the people operating GR)

Her Indoors

Her Indoors Report 27 Aug 2006 17:20

I don't want to be rude either (except about the limited adult literacy skills of the designer of GR's new tree feature interface), but it takes all sorts, I suppose. Who is Ed?

Her Indoors

Her Indoors Report 27 Aug 2006 17:22

Janet, if you want a pedant's answer, then photo's IS wrong as a plural of photo. Photo is a perfectly normal and accepted contraction of photograph. Its plural cannot be formed by the addition of an apostrophe, which can only denote possession. PS And I just can't resist, sorry, but if spelling is your strongpoint, apostrophes clearly aren't, because it would have to be 'spelling's my strong point', being a contraction of 'spelling is'.

Dea

Dea Report 27 Aug 2006 17:25

I'm not very technical but I think Photo's is o.k. as the apostrophe is used in a different way, not to denote posession, but to denote a 'missing bit' (I did warn you I was not very technical.) Dea Xxx P.S. Clive - pm on it's way. Xxx

Her Indoors

Her Indoors Report 27 Aug 2006 17:28

Dea, there isn't anything missing. The plural of photo is photos.

Dea

Dea Report 27 Aug 2006 17:34

Yeah Clive - BUT photo isn't a 'real' word. - It's an Ab-breeve-iay-shun !! (lol) Dea Xxx

Mandy

Mandy Report 27 Aug 2006 17:35

Belonging to one grocer is grocer's Belonging to two or more grocers (plural) grocers' And yes actually, we teach that to 9 year olds! The photos belong to noone, therefore no apostrophe is needed! xx

Her Indoors

Her Indoors Report 27 Aug 2006 17:35

No, of course it's not important. Never said it was. Quite the reverse. There are far more important things that this site should sort out, but I'm so glad to have had the opportunity this afternoon to provide an outlet for your heavy-handed wit. But I do know what a grocer's apostrophe is, even if you don't.

Jean....

Jean.... Report 27 Aug 2006 17:38

Clive can I please grab you while you are on line. Years ago, there was a shop near our school that the teacher was always annoyed with, she always said the punctuation was wrong...but I can't remember the correct way.. It was Gentlemans Tailor.........not gentlemens I think they had the apostrophe after the 's' Thanks Jean