Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

On a will from 1816

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 6 Aug 2006 20:41

would they have used maiden names of married ladies? more info below...

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 6 Aug 2006 20:41

I have the will of Mr Stinson, in which he mentions all of his children (including his daughter by her married name) but he also mentions some 'daughters in law' under what would have been their maiden names. (Mary Page and Ann Ayre) He also mentions a son in law, William Cooper, who could be the widower of one of his daughters. So, would they have puy Ann Ayre instead of Ann, the wife of Thomas Stinson, for some legal reason (maybe so she got the money and he didn't) ?!? Thanks.

Pippa

Pippa Report 6 Aug 2006 21:11

Hello Again Tom! What census details have you got?

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 6 Aug 2006 21:18

hi again Pippa... The will is from 1816, so the man isn't on the census, but he mentions his children Joseph Stinson, William Stinson, John Stinson, Thomas Stinson, Richard Stinson, Robert Stinson, daughter Elizabeth Gadsby. He also mentions Son in Law William Cooper (possibly married one of his other daughters who died) and daughter in laws Mary Page and Ann Ayre. I have a record for Ann Ayre marrying Thomas Stinson in 1808. At another point he mentions his sons in laws Thomas Ayre and John Gadsby. Of his sons... JOseph married Catherine John married Mary Ann Johnson

Pippa

Pippa Report 6 Aug 2006 21:22

Who did Thomas Ayre marry?

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 6 Aug 2006 21:25

Thats the complicated bit, all I can think of is that it is another daughter who died, or fell out of favour, and because Thomas Ayre is mentioned as son in law at the same time as Mr Gadsby, it makes me think that he married one of his daughters.... The parish records online for the church at coleorton have very poor coverage unfortunately.

Pippa

Pippa Report 6 Aug 2006 21:28

03 SEP 1815 Coleorton, Leicester, England Death: Burial: Parents: Father: ROBERT STINSON Family Mother: ELIZABETH TUGBY Is this one of them?

Vicky

Vicky Report 6 Aug 2006 21:35

Just to confuse the issue, sometimes 'in-law' actually meant step-daughter or step son. As for married women holding property or whatever, in general everything WAS regarded as their husbands. I have several wills from this period where it specifically says '... to my daughter xxx wife of xxx the sum of xxx for her own use entirely...'

Pippa

Pippa Report 6 Aug 2006 21:40

Ann Ayre Female Family Event(s): Birth: About 1749 Of, Coleorton, Leicester, England Christening: Death: Burial: Marriages: Spouse: John Bodle Family Marriage: 12 JAN 1783 Coleorton, Leicester, England

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 6 Aug 2006 21:41

sorry computer crashed. Vicky, I don't think Ann Ayre definately wasn't a step daughter, I have the wills of her parents who died in 1811 (father) and 1834 (mother under name Ayre). Pippa, I'm not sure who they are lol, but they must fit in somewhere along the line. Possibly, it could be his son, but then why isn't she mentioned?

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 6 Aug 2006 21:44

And to further confuse... Is it possible that Anne Ayre was the SISTER of Thomas Ayre? My own Gt Grandfather took financial responsibility for his unmarried sisters-in-law, the widow of his brother, and various other loosely related-by-marriage relatives. Is there a disparity in the amounts he is leaving, or is everything fairly divided? I have a Will from the same year, 1818, and the married daughters are named with their married names, not their maiden names. OC

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 6 Aug 2006 21:48

OC, it is possible I suppose, but do you think that she married Thomas Stinson, and Thomas Ayre married another sister? The amounts are all equal £100 each. (only a fiver for the executors)

Pippa

Pippa Report 6 Aug 2006 21:48

If he he had a will he had money so did these people work for him or something like that?

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 6 Aug 2006 21:52

but if they worked fr him would he give them the same amount as his sons?

Pippa

Pippa Report 6 Aug 2006 21:56

I see what you mean. What was his occupation?

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 6 Aug 2006 21:57

internet crashed again -sorry! He was a hatmaker, but seems to be quite wealthy leaving over £1000 and also mentions 'one of my cottages'.

Pippa

Pippa Report 6 Aug 2006 21:58

So what happened to the cottage?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 6 Aug 2006 21:58

Tom, I have a will from 1815, but it is a widow's will, not a mans. However, when she mentions her married daughts it is as: my daughter Jane, now the wife of Richard Derry; my daughter, Elizabeth, now the wife of William Ariel; my daughte Mary Fenton, now a widow. etc. etc. I also have her son-in-laws from 1836 and it is similar. Don't know if that helps.

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 6 Aug 2006 22:00

Tom, 1816 - is this the date it was written, proved, or both? I have some with a 10 year gap between writing and proving, and in that time span some beneficiaries have died or had a change of circumstance. Jay

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 6 Aug 2006 22:00

It was given to his wife. Janet, it was written 11/04/1816. proved 27/02/1817.