Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Data protection for living family tree members

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BessofDorset

BessofDorset Report 1 Aug 2006 16:35

I have found a web site which includes myself and my children and other family members complete with birth dates and maiden names -I had no knowledge that these names were being published on the Web-Do other members find this acceptable? I feel that this is an invasion of my privacy and any tree should have 'living' put in place of names if less than 100 years old -Is this a matter for Data Protection?Heather

BrianW

BrianW Report 1 Aug 2006 16:52

Does the County you live in begin with 'D'?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 1 Aug 2006 17:39

Heather, I'd contact the owner of the tree and ask them to remove your name immediately. Rose

Anne

Anne Report 1 Aug 2006 18:26

google Data Protection Act. There is a site which enables you to complain. Have a look, and then gett the person who has added details of living people without their consent, to remove them. Few people realise it is illegal to keep records on a computer without consent. Anne

BrianW

BrianW Report 2 Aug 2006 09:47

It is now also illegal to keep hard copy records without consent. So that hand-written note of second cousin Alfie's date of birth and marital status could theoretically land you in court. If you want to see what information about yourself is in the public domain then just try Googling your name, then the first line of your address, then your e-mail address, and so on. You'll probably be surprised at what comes up!

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 2 Aug 2006 10:15

Tribal pages is an odd one as it is advertised as your own personal web space. The person concerned may not have realised that he or she was opening it to the public. They have only just added a connection facility without warning site owners. I think my first step would be to contact the site owner explaining how you feel and ask if they could use the hide living people option which hides people born in the last eighty-five years I think unless you have put in a date of death. I am not sure you can do much about details people keep in their own notes. I add details from census's, BMD's ect without checking with the people concerned. However I have got hide living enabled on here and on tribal pages.I have never had any complaints. The new tribal page connection service only matches people with a date of birth and death so should not send details of living people. It is an American site so might have different rules to genes. For anyone with a tribal pages account it is possible to password protect it. Long ago when I did a history degree which involved research modules we were told we could copy small amounts of material for the purpose of our own research. Family history might come under this category unless you were being libelled.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 Aug 2006 14:52

But - have you noticed? - b4usearch has a ''please remove my record'' button! Christine

leese

leese Report 14 Jun 2013 13:40

does anyone still use this page as i have a few questions

Rambling

Rambling Report 14 Jun 2013 14:16

Leese it might be better to post your questions as a new topic, as this is an old thread.