Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TRANSCRIBERS ANONYMOUS....Sign up here. All Transc

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

* Loopy Lesley

* Loopy Lesley Report 28 Jul 2006 13:50

Hi all back in a Mo Loopy :~)

* Loopy Lesley

* Loopy Lesley Report 28 Jul 2006 13:50

HELLO EVERYBODY Since Putting up an enquiry on this thread RE: transcribing for FREEBMD I decided to join and become a fully fledged transcriber.....Since starting I have come to the conclusion that I AM AN ADDICT It was suggested to me start a thread. So I would like to start a TRANSCRIPTION ADDICT THREAD for fellow Transcribers to air their Addiction / Addictions.. As CHAIRLADY of this Thread I feel it is only right that I should start the session **************************************************************************** HI My name is Loopy Lesley and since Joining GR I have become an Addict.... I am a Binger as when I start I just cant stop and have to be physical dragged away from the PC..... It has started to affect my Home life dramatically and it is being neglected even more than before (As if that wasnt bad enough then) I joined GR to find out info of my family and decided to put something back into it by becoming a TRANSCRIBER (FATAL ERROR) my daughter cant find me under piles of Papers.....and she cant understand the Fascination I have with DEAD PEOPLE but I just cant help myself..... Hopefully with help from other addicts I can try and control my urges and try and get my life back to some sort of Normality.... DONT BE ASHAMED OF YOUR ADDICTION STAND UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY Loopy :~(

* Loopy Lesley

* Loopy Lesley Report 28 Jul 2006 15:27

Come on dont be shy There must be others who are the same as me Be brave it doesn't hurt Loopy :~)

* Loopy Lesley

* Loopy Lesley Report 28 Jul 2006 16:34

Nudging up.... Be Brave and admit your problem on here. Loopy :~)

blueberry

blueberry Report 28 Jul 2006 17:07

Hi Lesley This is Barbara from Suffolk, after seeing your message for info about Transcribing I thought i'd have a go myself, well now that I'm addicted to it (I'm blaming you), well somebody has to take the blame, don't mean it really only kidding. Yes you are right it is an addiction, every so often while i'm sitting here looking at my puter and going cross eyed I keep hearing this strange knocking ,and a little voice saying let me out,it's coming from the hall cupboard, yes you've guessed it, the cleaner, I don't know why it bothers really, there can't be that much dust on the carpets,can there after a week, 'h'm'. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK . LOL Barbara.

Mavis

Mavis Report 28 Jul 2006 17:11

Well, as I suggested it, it's only fitting that no one picked this thread up until I got home from work, so I can become the second member. It was your original thread that got me started Lesley. I live alone (probably fortunately) so it's in from work, on with the computer, and either chase dead family members or transcribe. Major symptoms: The TV broke a few weeks ago & I haven't got it fixed. I'm losing wait because preparing food takes me away from it (it that really a complaint - don't think so....). Think perhaps this group should just support each other rather than trying to cure us!! Mavis PS What's housework? Got given a sign to put up - 'In this house dust is a noun NEVER a verb'. M

* Loopy Lesley

* Loopy Lesley Report 28 Jul 2006 17:13

WELCOME BARBARA :~) Please make yourself a Coffee or Tea While we wait for any others that are coming in to join us. PLEASE accept my sincere apologies for my influencing your addiction :~) BUT Well done for admiting your problem lol I wouldn't worry about the cleaner in the cupboard. and as for the dusty carpet just open your windows and doors and let the wind blow it all away....lmao Loopy :~)

* Loopy Lesley

* Loopy Lesley Report 28 Jul 2006 17:20

WELCOME MAVIS :~) Unfortuately Barbara beat you to it so you are Member No.3 lol YES it was your idea for this thread...BUT it seems its my fault that we need it in the first place lmao...It seems to have encouraged so many others to join in from my other thread... Oops Yes I agree we need to be here for eachother for Support Because I dont think there is a cure..Even if we refuse to pay our Electricity bills there are so many other places we can get our fix from....lmao Hope work was ok for you..... :~) And I too have the same problem with eating or lack of it....lol Loopy :~)

* Loopy Lesley

* Loopy Lesley Report 28 Jul 2006 18:06

IS THAT IT 3 OF US? lmao Im sure we are not the only ones to have this problem...Maybe the others are just not brave enough or dont want to own up to the fact they have a problem lmao Come on guys own up and join us Loopy :~)

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 28 Jul 2006 18:16

Hi Lesley, My name is Fuzzy and I am also a family history addict, I started on this quest a meer six months ago and if i had known how it would totally engulf my life I dont think that I would have started. I used to be a good mother and the house was always clean, now I tell the kids to make their own blasted lunch and not to be so lazy.....as if i were to do this it would take me away from my beloved computer for all of ten minutes!! I have also got them hoovering at weekends and dusting......I mutter to hubby that it will prepare them for when they leave home. I have resorted to carrying the freezer into the garden to de-frost, so that hubby will think that I have been busy defrosting it all afternoon!! I have discovered that if clothes are taken from the drier at the right time they no longer require ironing.....am still doing this although it is ninety degrees outside! like you I sometimes have to be physically removed from the computer as kids get fed up with the just ten more minutes routine when I have already been on here for more than three hours!! My only consolation is that I know I am not alone and there are lots of fellow addicts out there!! fuzzy x

* Loopy Lesley

* Loopy Lesley Report 28 Jul 2006 18:26

WELCOME FUZZY :~) Nice to speak to you again and nice to see you kept the name lol Really this thread is for Transcribers BUT as I know you I will allow you to join our group lol Well done for getting past the hurdle of admiting you have a problem that is the first step :~) You are not alone now and can rest assured that we all have sympathy for eachother even if our families dont seem to understand the need for our quest.... lmao Loopy :~)

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 28 Jul 2006 18:29

Nice to chat to you again and yes am quite used to the name now! thanks for giving me special membership even though I am not a transcriber......feels good to get the fact that I am an addict off my chest!! Fuzzy x

Mavis

Mavis Report 28 Jul 2006 18:36

HAve just come back after a transcribing session; and just wondered if everyone (well all three of us so far) is aware that you can filter the 'Districts' spreadsheet for the end of the word, which I find very useful at times. Mavis

* Loopy Lesley

* Loopy Lesley Report 28 Jul 2006 18:48

Mavis Do you mean the Picklist? If you do you have to be careful re: different spellings of places.. eg: Wellingbro Wellingbro' Wellingborough It does the same with first names aswell when you see the name you need press the appropriate number above the letters on your keyboard and it automatically puts the name in for you..... Loopy :~)

* Loopy Lesley

* Loopy Lesley Report 28 Jul 2006 18:52

IM LOGGING OFF FOR A WHILE NOW My daughter needs some attention lol Please continue to put any messages on here while I am away....and lets keep this thread nudged to the first page for ALL Transcribers to see..... Speak to you later Loopy :~)))

Mavis

Mavis Report 28 Jul 2006 19:05

No, when I started transcribing mt co-ordinator emailled me a 'Guide to Better Transcribing' and that refers you to Districts and Surname lists at freebmd.rootsweb.com/addons. That district list is in an Excel spreadsheet which means you can filter it. Mavis

~*~~*Sylvie*~~*~

~*~~*Sylvie*~~*~ Report 28 Jul 2006 20:24

Hi all well well well the T.A. at last i am an addict too......affects everything....i say 'i'll just do one more and then i think oh just one more wont take me long......4 hours later i'm still at it but I am definitely not doing anything tonight.....err did one earlier but thats it......i mean it....actually i did 2 but honest thats it tonight as i am going to relax and have a glass of wine or two bottles...LOL need to give my eyes a break.. I am officially signing off night all Sylvia;-}

Mavis

Mavis Report 28 Jul 2006 20:54

Just found out about GR cutting website addresses the rest of the one in my last message is(.)com(/)addons(/) - removing brackets. Mavis

Jane

Jane Report 28 Jul 2006 21:37

i'm Jane and i'm an addict...................... phew said it !!! not only addicted to transcribing ( FreeBMD & Free CEN), but also addicted to GR, and looking for dead people, lol. no wonder i'm still single !!!!! Jx

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 28 Jul 2006 22:23

I `m transcribing for Freecen and thought I had lost it-not the plot -my census as there was something wrong with laptop and hubby said' which extension did you save it on' I said' I`ve never heard of extensions' Anyway he found it. Ros