Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Englethwaite Hall Cotehill Carlisle Boys Home

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

The Ego

The Ego Report 15 Jul 2006 15:42

anyone know who ran this place 1933-1965.......was a tb colony before,became a caravan park after being a boys home.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 15 Jul 2006 16:20

Found on Rootsweb The story of Englethwaite Hall and the Thomlinson family's business is set out in in Ian Tyler's book 'Gypsum in Cumbria', published in 2000 by Blue Rock Publications. It is still in print - ISBN 0 9523028 4 5 If you google for ENGLETHWAITE (note spelling LE not EL) you may find more. Jennifer

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 15 Jul 2006 16:23

..... a vast and luxurious mansion at Englethwaite Hall. In the 1880's the business became part of a national concern. In the nineties, despite his business success, John Thomlinson bankrupted himself and the treasures of Englethwaite Hall were auctioned off for a comparartive pittance. Note the correct spelling of Englethwaite if you want to research further.

The Ego

The Ego Report 15 Jul 2006 16:54

thanks for input re Englethwaite -Ive googled for England and the priority is to find out who ran the boys home....Ive emailed a lady who may have something in her files...no answer yet.

eileen

eileen Report 8 Aug 2016 17:18

to paul barton i would like to know what happened to the treasures of englethwaite hall in 1900 when it was sold because my family now own reservoir farm and have since 1960 this farm was owned by the same family, the thomlinsons.. we believe that there was a painting by w h nutter of our farm but it has never been traced i would love to see it Posted by Eileen slack(nee Roe)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Aug 2016 17:38

Welcome to GR, Eileen.

It's likely that Paul posted the information which he found on Google rather than from personal knowledge. To check, you could send him a personal message by clicking on his name. If he's still using the same linked email address, he'll be advised that you've sent him a message.

Even if you could find an auction catalogue, it probably won't say who bought the painting. Even if it still exists it could have changed hands many times in the last 100+ years.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Aug 2016 18:56

"John Thomlinson's eventual decline and bankruptcy was something covered in an earlier article on Englethwaite Hall. All that remained at Englethwaite Hall by 1900, to remind John Thomlinson of the past glory of Joseph Robinson and Co, were watercolours by W H Nutter of Reservoir Farm and Denton Mill. "

That's from a newspaper cutting I found on a Google search, but it doesn't seem to have a link to post here.
I'll PM you, Eileen. From what you said about the painting, I think you may have seen the cutting already.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Aug 2016 19:57

Lakes Guides, prints - University of Portsmouth
www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/thelakes/html/prints/pr1860s.htm Cached
... Lancashire, drawn by T H Wilson, engraved by W Barker, ... a Lakeland Farm, Cumbria, by William Henry Nutter, 1863. (PR0800.jpg) ... watercolour, Junction Street ...

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Aug 2016 22:14

PM from Eileen:

hello eileen here again been reading a book called gypsum in cumbria photos in there of englethwaite hall from someone called keith simmonds ever heard of him?

No, Eileen, I've never heard of him, and a Google search doesn't bring up anything useful.

The book is the one Jennifer mentioned in 2006, at the start of this thread.

You could try writing to the publishers of the book, who might be willing to pass on a message to him.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Aug 2016 12:57

Further PM from Eileen:

just discovered that Ian tyler who wrote a book containing information from keith simmonds lives not far from me going to contact him tonight