Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lost family 1901 Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 8 Jul 2006 13:39

Can anyone please check 1901 for me....have completely lost this family. John Yelland born 1858 Harleston Northants Catherine Yelland born 1856 Witton Cheshire (wife) In 1891 they were in East Dereham Norfolk.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 8 Jul 2006 13:56

Ann, I can't find anyone that fits anywhere near this lot. Tried just the births as well and nothing comes up. Are you sure they were alive?

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 8 Jul 2006 13:57

Presume this is the family in 1891 Algernon Yelland abt 1890 East Dereham, Norfolk, England Son East Dereham Norfolk >>>>> Catherina Yelland abt 1856 Northwich, Cheshire, England Wife East Dereham Norfolk Constance Evelyn Yelland abt 1889 East Dereham, Norfolk, England Daughter East Dereham Norfolk >>>>>> John Yelland abt 1858 Harleston, Norfolk, England Head East Dereham Norfolk John Yelland abt 1883 East Dereham, Norfolk, England Son East Dereham Norfolk Kate Edith Yelland abt 1885 East Dereham, Norfolk, England Daughter East Dereham Norfolk Reginald Yelland abt 1887 East Dereham, Norfolk, England Son East Dereham Norfolk If it is perhaps Algernon might be easier to find. Glen

Ann

Ann Report 8 Jul 2006 14:06

This is a mystery. Too many of them to have ALL died, I would have thought.....but there is a possibility that they moved to Scotland. John worked for the Inland Revenue as did Catherine's brother Thomas Butterworth and he ended up in Fife! Thomas was my great great grandfather and this is my first attempt at trying to track his sister's family.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 8 Jul 2006 14:12

Well searching by christian name and year/place only i can't get anything near. So either they are badly mistranscribed,John died and Catherine remarried,(but the kids would then all appear under the new surname?),or they could be as you say in Scotland. Glen

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 8 Jul 2006 14:13

They must have moved. Can't find any even without names. Didn't come to Oz did they. There are a few Yellands here. If you find them, see if they are hiding my William Huband will you. He died in 1833 but I think he was born in outer space somewhere. Maybe they joined him. Do you ever wonder why you started this lark?

Ann

Ann Report 8 Jul 2006 14:33

Glen - thanks for looking. Sometimes think I miss entries or don't search properly! Elizabeth - thanks! Have you got any further with your Cabrach Gordons?? I am visiting there at the end of August so could take pics for you. Am taking two weeks to trail all around my Scottish villages!!

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 8 Jul 2006 14:37

Might be worth a bash asking for a Scotlandspeople lookup,surely one of the kids will still be with the parents somewhere. Glen

Ann

Ann Report 8 Jul 2006 14:43

I've just done a freesearch on Scotlands People and it looks as though they could be there....certainly a family of Yellands on the 1901 and several marriages and deaths. Will take out a monthly sub later today!!!

Salty

Salty Report 8 Jul 2006 14:43

Ann looked up a neighbour in 1901 and then went through the list for the area where they were in1891 not a soul in sight. Rod

Ann

Ann Report 8 Jul 2006 14:44

Thanks, Rod - do you have time to explain to me how you did that!

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 8 Jul 2006 14:53

Two ways you can search the nieghbours, on results select your rellie,at the page starting 'census record about.........,click on 'view others on page'or 'view neighbours' (about 2/3 down the page) Or view the image and select an individual from the image in a nearby house,then search for them in the census before or after whichever way you are trying to work. Option 3 if you are really bored and have nothing to do is to select the district/parish etc and check image by image,but be warned some districts cover dozens and dozens of pages. Glen

Salty

Salty Report 8 Jul 2006 14:53

1891 census image of Yelland the next door neighbour Robert Betts lived in the golden bull searched for him in 1901 still living same place then went trrough all the images of the village (or that section of the village) 28 pages. Rod ' I get beaten by Glen every time'

Ann

Ann Report 8 Jul 2006 14:58

Thanks Glen and Rod. This opens up a whole new world for me! Lucky I'm on holiday right now LOL !!!

Patricia

Patricia Report 12 Mar 2014 22:30

I think just after this they all moved to Dumfries in Scotland where both John and Catherina later died. Most of the rest of the family lived and worked in Dumfries. Their son Reginald was my Grandfather. Kate became a very good teacher, Constance married a chap from Paisley, Colin died youngish with pneumonia (1930) most of the children of John Yelland lived well into their 70s- and 80s - my Great Aunts and Uncles. My Father - Reginald Yelland died in 1982 aged69.

Hope this helps.

Patricia

Patricia Report 12 Mar 2014 22:33

John my graeat Grandfather was an Inspector of Corn returns. My Grandfather - Reginald was a cloth sales rep.
John junior - known as Jack - lived in the midlands somewhere, Aklgernon lived and worked in Kilmarnokc - as a rep for Johnnie Walker whisky - but late in life emigrated with his wife to British Columbia to be with his family 2 sons - surgeons in the Canadian airforce and daughter Olive - a teacher - still alive.
I spent a great deal of time in my childhood in trhe 1940s and 50s n Dumfries with them all but they never spoke much about their early life in England. I wish they had.

Patricia

Patricia Report 12 Mar 2014 22:45

Sorry for typos - have cut finger - well that's my excuse !

John and Catherina had John, Kate, Constance, Algernon, Reginald (My Grandfather, Ethel and Colin.

I don't know exactly when they moved to Dumfries - but I lost them for a few years too.

I think Catherina came originally from Cheshire - not sure.
The Yellands came originally from Devonshire I think- smugglera I hoped - but sadly Customs and possibly teachers.

Patricia

Patricia Report 13 Mar 2014 22:42

Catherine was the daughter of William and Hannah Butterworth - Grocer in Witton. 1871. She had a younger brother Thomas. William married Hannah - who was a widow in Chorlton 1855 -(she had 2 children by a first marriage) and they later had Catherine and Thomas. and lived and worked in Witton, Cheshire as far as I can make out.

jax

jax Report 13 Mar 2014 23:22

Welcome to the boards Patricia

Ann posted this in 2006 and may not be checking for more replies now.

Click on her name and send a private message, if her email address is still the same she will be notified