Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

applying to a register office for a certificate

Page 2 + 1 of 6

  1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Madmeg Report 9 Sep 2008 01:09

Everyone, local register offices are fantastic. I sent a request for a birth to the Hoywell office and they searched, and searched, and searched, and sadly didn't find my John Davies, but I know that they tried, and it cost me nothing.




Fire Report 8 Sep 2008 21:31

My dad wont let my get them form local offices so i'm stuck with the rubbish GRO,


robertpplane Report 6 Jul 2008 23:16

I go to the GRO first everytime. Except in one case, they have never failed me. When I then phoned the relevant local RO I spoke to a very helpful lady who gave me all the information I needed over the phone - so I saved £7; but would I get that service every time - who knows.


Sisterbee Report 22 Jun 2008 12:42



PamUK Report 20 Jun 2008 22:23

I found this really useful.

Left a SAE with my request. They returned form as No Trace and return my cheque!


Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 20 Jun 2008 22:19



Jayne Report 7 Jun 2008 23:54

Just nudging up to keep really useful info handy. Thanks to all who gave it. Jayne


JoyDean Report 4 Jun 2008 20:36

Some register offices are taking applications online now.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 24 Mar 2008 19:06


Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 3 Jan 2008 17:21

Jean i will send you a pm with some links.


Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 17 Nov 2007 22:31


The Meercat

The Meercat Report 12 Nov 2007 09:15

hi marian,

you can order as many as you want.
i went into mine to order they gave me some forms and i filled in five.
took them back to the desk and paid for them.
they posted them to me the next day.

or you can send by post with a chq.

i found it easier if its local to you to go in and do it.



marian Report 12 Nov 2007 09:00

Is it possible to order more than one certificate at a time.I have around five local that I need to get. Marian


Ann Report 11 Nov 2007 20:35


Thanks for the information. Back to pen and paper.


Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 11 Nov 2007 20:29

Local to where the event occured.

Each register office hold the records for their own area only so for example an event in Berwick would not be available in the Birmingham register office.

Most of the local offices will take telephone and postal applications, some take them online but not all, and remember if they cannot supply a certificate then you don't pay a penny and there is no additional charge for reference checks.


Ann Report 11 Nov 2007 20:25

Hi everybody,
When you say local R O. Do you mean local to yourself or local to where the BMD occurred?



JoyDean Report 8 Jul 2007 09:04

With the GRO, you would receive a refund of £3 (I believe) if they could not find the person. The Register Office would return your cheque if the person could not be found. For the Register Office, the exact date of birth is not required, but the quarter and year and district would be needed. Sometimes a person would have been found on a census with parents, and one wishes to find out more about the parents as well as the child. In one case, a certificate I received was registered by the grandmother: fantastic - took me back another generation! In my experience, Register Office staff have been happy to discuss the matter on the telephone.

~Summer Scribe~

~Summer Scribe~ Report 8 Jul 2007 01:20

This is useful, but it appears that you need to have most of the information to be able to order from the RO rather than GRO, where as with the GRO you only need the vague info. So, if you didn't have parents name and the persons dob, you wouldnt be able to order the birth cert, when the reason you're probably ordering it is to find out who the parents were??


JoyDean Report 7 Jul 2007 18:20 This site states £7. Happy hunting!


JoyDean Report 7 Jul 2007 18:17

I'll have a look at that site. You never should be charged more than £7. Some London ones do; some don't. I had one from Poplar. You can write to them and telephone them. Register offices do NOT - excuse the shouting, please ... :-) - want the GRO refs; they do not mean a thing to them. You need to word the letter to them to the effect that if the person is the son / daughter / husband / wife / mother / father etc of ......... , and the cheque will be returned to you if the person cannot be found in their registers.