Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Next trip to Kew Saturday 5th August I HAVE COMPUT

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 17 Jun 2006 13:41

Please would those who said they would like to come check their diaries and confirm on this thread that 5th August is okay. Anyone else who is interested is welcome to join us. NB there will be a follow up trip on 19th August for those who can't make the first date or find they need more time at Kew.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 17 Jun 2006 13:42

Everyone is welcome: whether they've been to the National Archives before or this is their first visit. The National Archives holds: Free access to 1841 - 1891 census images via Ancestry Free access to 1901 index via GR and microfiche for the images Free access to Documents Online - which currently includes -PCC wills up to 1858 -Death duty registers to 1811 -Royal navy seamen's records 1873 - 1923 -WW1 campaign medals Free access to several other useful websites Records available on microfilm include: WW1 service records (where they survive) Early soldiers' discharge papers Coastguard records Merchant seamen's records Airmen's records for WW1 Original records are far too numerous to list, but include Ships' log books Ships' muster books Soldiers' discharge papers mid 1800s to WW1 Some prison records Visit the website: Http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk Put the name you are interested in into the site search on the home page (remembering that this will also show records from the Access to Archives (A2A) website, which are held in local record offices.) Have a look at the Research Guides, or the in depth guide to family history. There are masses of records to look at, a good library and well-stocked bookshop. Please add your name if you are interested. Brenda

Sharon

Sharon Report 17 Jun 2006 15:09

I'll join you again Brenda, although I am getting itchy fingers to get down there sooner! lol Lots of Naval stuff that I want to look up and I've found out that they have thousands of record cards filled in by service men who were in Japanese Prisioner of war camps after they were released and I really want to know if dad filled one in. I also really need to find out more about this runway they were building. Dad mentioned it and it's been confirmed on some sites I've found online but not by anyone who was building it with him.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Jun 2006 15:11

Brenda I'm a definite maybe!

Salty

Salty Report 17 Jun 2006 15:19

If the date is right I,ll be there. Rod

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 17 Jun 2006 16:31

phoenix I have alot of research for birkenhead cheshire but can't get up there .Interested in a merchant seaman . do i have to book an appointment to go as i have so much to research. don't suppose they hold burial records say from cheshire,as waiting list is 10 weeks from wirral library. lizz

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 17 Jun 2006 16:32

Brenda Thanks again for your efforts on my behalf last time. A serious lack of cash prevents me making the trip,however my appetite has been whetted with the results from the last visit. My coastguard chap certainly proved very interesting,one day his son will hopefully prove to be just as interesting.Fingers crossed i win the lottery,if not havea great trip without me. Glen

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 18 Jun 2006 08:02

Good Morning Brenda, Yes, I would like to go back! :)) will keep an eye out for further info. :)) Thanking you once again, Chris :)

Anne in North London

Anne in North London Report 18 Jun 2006 09:52

Phoenix, I would be interested - hopefully will be able to make the date. I was planning a trip there myself, but it would be much nicer to go with people who have previous experience. Many Thanks Anne in North London

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 18 Jun 2006 10:04

I will be there. Thanks for doing this again Brenda. Fi

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 18 Jun 2006 22:19

Hi everyone. Sorry not to get back to this thread sooner. I'm just in from a glorious day out in Warwickshire. Elizabeth, there are some excellent merchant seamen's records, but only for certain periods. In the 1830s to early 1840s they are available on microfilm, on open access. In the 1900s there are seamen's pouches that you can look at: to check whether there is one for the person you are interested in, put the surname into the main search box and BT 372 in the 'department or series code' box. The details that come up show date and place of birth so you would be able to recognise your person. Between about 1845 and 1913 there isn't very much at Kew. If you want to look at original documents, it is worth ordering them in advance, simply to save time. You can do this via their website. Kew doesn't hold local records, like parish registers or local wills. NB I am told, but I don't know whether it is true, that it's quicker to order birth marriage and death certificates in person from the Family Record Centre in Islington (not at the National Archives in Kew), rather than over the internet.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 20 Jun 2006 19:42

nudge

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 21 Jun 2006 08:02

Hi Brenda, I would love another day out at Kew. Any date would suit except 19th as we have our allotment show day then and I am hoping to win lots of lovely prizes!!! I really enjoyed the last trip and look forward to the next. Regards Sylvia.

Sally

Sally Report 21 Jun 2006 11:03

Dear All i would have loved to come but ;alas as i am getting married in August it probably will not be possible but wish you all the luck to find all you seek. maybe next time have a greatday Sally

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 22 Jun 2006 23:42

People interested in going: Sharon Helen Little Nell Rod Elizabeth Chris Anne Fi Jay Sylvia Sally, hope your wedding preparations all go well and that you have a splendid day. I will organise other trips, though probably not till 2007. I've just realised that there is a bank holiday in August, so we actually have a choice of three Saturdays. What do people think of a first choice of 5th August, with a second choice (or follow up visit) on the 19th?

Georgette

Georgette Report 30 Jun 2006 12:47

Hello Brenda, I can't make the 5th, but I would be interested in the 19th if you do do a follow up visit. Helenx

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 30 Jun 2006 13:16

Hi Helen Yes that's fine. I've put two dates up, so that if anyone is on holiday (or oversleeps, as has been known to happen) there is a second opportunity.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 8 Jul 2006 22:41

nudge

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 8 Jul 2006 23:02

Brenda, i cant believe this. I have double booked myself. as it stands I cant do the 5th now, but if it rains then I can. I am sssssssssooooooo sorry. Fi

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 8 Jul 2006 23:18

Fi, having had to grovel to some old friends because I'd already promised I'd go with another friend to the family history event at Maidstone next weekend, I can well understand. Third attempt lucky, eh?