Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is there a handy list of Admirals anywhere?UPDATED

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 15 Jun 2006 17:26

I have googled, I have IGI'd and come up with nothing about Admiral Gus Walker.Is there a definitive list of them anywhere, please? Olde Crone(turning over the last remaining stone)

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jun 2006 17:29

Olde Crone I have a feeling there's a thing called a Navy List (a bit like the Army List) which would have officers and certainly admirals in it. But I don't know where historic copies would be - Kew? nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jun 2006 17:29

Wikepedia says 'The Navy List traditionally refers to the list of Royal Navy officers, their ranks and seniority, and the ships that they are currently serving on. The Royal Navy publishes annual lists of active and reserve officers, and biennial lists of retired officers. Past copies of the List are important sources for historians.' But it doesn't say where you'd find past copies!

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jun 2006 17:30

What era is Admiral Gus from?

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jun 2006 17:32

Not being funny, but are you sure he's an admiral and not an Air Marshall, as there's an Air Marshall Augustus Walker on google.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Jun 2006 17:33

there is an Air Chief Marshall Augustus walker 1912-1986, but I couldn't find and admiral either. I also looked on A2A Ann Glos

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 15 Jun 2006 17:36

Nell Well, there you have me stumped, I'm afraid (she says, blushing for shame). There is family anecdotal evidence about Cousin Jim Walker, who in the 1970s was living with my elderly unmarried Aunt. He registered her death. When I asked who he was, everyone was a bit vague, but he was 'definitely either the son or Grandson of Admiral Gus Walker'. And as I dont have a clue even how old Cousin Jim was in 1970, then I cannot work out a time scale for his father/grandfather Admiral Gus. Sorry, this is really embarrassing, but it IS my last remaining clue (and you see why its the last one!) Olde Crone

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 15 Jun 2006 17:38

Oh God, yes, quite possible he was an Air Field Marshall - as I said,what I have is purely anecdotal. I will have a look at him to see if there are any clues. Thankyou! Olde Crone

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Jun 2006 17:41

And was he just ''Gus'' or was he one of: Augustus Fergus Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jun 2006 17:41

This chap Air Marshall Sir Augustus Walker Royal Air Force, was a president of the Rugby Football Union 1965-66. Chances are he played rugby for the Air Force or a local club and would be in rugby union lists. Dont' know if there's an Air force equivalent of the Navy and Army Lists. nell ps nice to see you are stumped for a change!

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Jun 2006 17:45

One of the London Gazette hits: 28 Feb 1967 ROYAL AIR FORCE Air Chief Marshal Sir Augustus WALKER, K.C.B., C.B.E., D.S.O., D.F.C., A.F.C,, M.A., is appointed Deputy Commander-in-Chief, Allied Forces, Cen- tral Europe, in succession to Air Chief Marshal Sir Edmund HUDLESTONE, G.C.B., C.B.E., A.D.C. 1st Mar. 1967. Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Jun 2006 17:46

There is an RAF yearbook. It's called The Air Force List as you might expect, and published by HMSO. Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Jun 2006 17:52

This one's a possible, but I'm wary, because the LG normally prints names in full in the context of official announcements... Name: George Augustus (Sir) Walker Birth Date: 24 Aug 1912 Death Registration Month/Year: Dec 1986 Age at death (estimated): 74 Registration District: Kings Lynn Inferred County: Norfolk Volume: 10 Page: 1425 Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Jun 2006 17:55

On the other hand... from the LG 16 October 1934 ROYAL AIR FORCE. GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH. The undermentioned are granted perma- nent commissions as Pilot Officers with effect from 29th Sept. 1934 and with seniority of the dates stated:— 29th Mar. 1933. John Henry BECHER. Francis George FROW. John 01 ding SINKS. James Gait MACINTYRE. William James O'DOHERTY. ***George Augustus WALKER. Christine

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 15 Jun 2006 18:02

of Senior UK Defence Personnel, 1900-1975 Name WALKER, Sir George Augustus (1912-1986), Air Chief Marshal Service biography University Commission, RAF 1934; Research and Development, Air Ministry 1938-1939; World Commander, Bomber Sqn stations and bases, War II 1939-1945; Senior Air Staff Officer No 4 Group 1945-1946; Deputy Director of Operational Training, Air Ministry 1946-1948; Senior Air Staff Officer, Rhodesian Air Training Group 1948-1950; Joint Services Staff College 1950; Imperial Defence College 1953; Commandant, RAF Flying College 1954-1956; Air Officer Commanding No 1 Group 1956-1959; Chief Information Officer, Air Ministry 1959-1961; Air Officer Commander-in-Chief, Flying Training Command 1961-1964; Inspector General, RAF 1964-1967; Deputy Commander-in-Chief, Allied Forces Central Europe 1967-1970; retired 1970; Director, Philips Electronics 1970-1982 Papers LIDDELL HART CENTRE FOR MILITARY ARCHIVES: No reply to approach letters in 1982 and 1990; the papers of Capt Sir Basil Henry Liddell Hart include correspondence with

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 15 Jun 2006 18:02

and LG 11 March 1941 from the block of names before promotions Flt Lt to Sqd Ldr (can't tell quite what because I just get the current page when I call up the image) - so probably Sqd Ldr to Wg Cdr. George Augustus WALKER (36019) Which is borne out by: LG 19 Dec 1941 ROYAL AIR FORCE. The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards: — ... Distinguished Flying Cross. ... Wing Commander George Augustus WALKER, D.S.O. (36019), No. 50 Squadron. Christine

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 15 Jun 2006 18:12

Oh, thankyou all for that wonderful information! I now have something to get my teeth into, including the info that he was really a George Augustus! (And desperately hoping the anecdote is mainly true, and he doesnt turn out to be an Able Seaman lol!) Olde Crone

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Jun 2006 18:18

christine youw ill see the dates 1912 and 1986 tie up with my post for Air Chief marshall sir Augustus Walker. ann Glos

Merry

Merry Report 15 Jun 2006 18:31

Name: George Augustus (Sir) Walker Birth Date: 24 Aug 1912 Death Registration Month/Year: Dec 1986 Age at death (estimated): 74 Registration District: Kings Lynn Inferred County: Norfolk Volume: 10 Page: 1425 Can't do his birth one because there are lots of George A Walkers!! Update - sorry, I didn't see Christine's post! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 15 Jun 2006 18:36

Sorry, but this is funny! There's a website with some details about his career, but it's in French!! http://web.genealogie.free.fr/Les_militaires/2GM/Royaume-Uni/Air/Air_Chief_Marshal/W.htm LOL! Merry (Sorry it's not Norman French!)