Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

just had a giggle about names !!!!!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 9 Jun 2006 13:07

Have just read a letter from a relative , giving me a list of names and dates, and I had to laugh , I cannot give you the surnames for privacy reasons, but it goes like this Jack(John) Bill(William) George (we called him Tom) Arch(Tom) again Gladys(Maud) Samuel(Charles) all brothers and sisters in one family How are we supposed to find anyone ?????

Mandy in Wiltshire

Mandy in Wiltshire Report 9 Jun 2006 13:14

I think you're in line for some sort of award, because I've never come across a whole family of brothers and sisters calling themselves by alternative names lol!! My best one so far (most have just used their middle names etc) is my Dad's Aunt Edie, who was baptised Bertha Alice. How did they arrive at Edie?? Mandy :))

Val wish I'd never started Report 9 Jun 2006 13:17

I would rather have the right names than an award it would be so much easier. How they came to Edie who knows I dont know why they named them at all , do you ???

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 9 Jun 2006 13:27

I had an Auntie Pet. I struggled for ages to find her, to no avail. Recently, my Uncle told me her real name was Gladys - Pet was a form of endearment!!!! (As in 'Auntie, dear' OC

Val wish I'd never started Report 9 Jun 2006 13:32

I have heard of Dolly/littleun/pet/and all sorts does make you wonder. I wont tell you my nickname my Husband calls me .

Vicky

Vicky Report 9 Jun 2006 13:35

I've got (same family) Ruth Amelia, known as Millie; William John known as Jack; & a Jane Armour known as Armour, but her birth registration is indexed as Jane Alma. Two of these emigrated, so I pity their descendents trying to trace them back! Ruth & Jane are on the 1901 census (no middle names) but father was out of the country, so it might be difficult to match them up!

Helen

Helen Report 9 Jun 2006 13:41

Took me ages to find out who my Nan's 'Uncle Non' was. Nan assumed he was an Algernon but I couldn't find him anywhere. Finally found him as William Albert. Best guess is he was known as Albert, shortened to Al, nicknamed Algernon, shortened to Non. Thank goodness he was the only Welshman with the surname Gurney who served in the Canadian Army in WW1 or I don't think I would have ever realised who he was.

Merry

Merry Report 9 Jun 2006 13:42

I wrote to my uncle in Australia about his siblings and parents. I enclosed a list of their dates, as far as I knew. When he wrote back he said he didn't know a lot more, but ''Who is this Edwin you keep on about?'' How embarrassing to have to say to him.....''He is your brother''.....he had no idea that was his brother's real name! They called him Ted so he assumed bro's name was Edward! Merry

Mandy in Wiltshire

Mandy in Wiltshire Report 9 Jun 2006 13:45

Methinks this is going to be one of those threads great for a laugh (sorry Val, not laughing at you, just with you!). I just love OC's Auntie Pet and Merry's Edwin! Mandy :))

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 9 Jun 2006 13:47

I had some trouble finding my grandma's cousin. She was Matilda Mallet in 1881, Nellie Winkle in 1901, and Helen Steele-Taylor when she died.

Helen

Helen Report 9 Jun 2006 13:49

Mary, I love your Nellie Winkle, I'd like one of those for my tree! LOL

Merry

Merry Report 9 Jun 2006 13:50

Mary It's really hard to imagine (in particular) that Nellie Winkle and Helen Steele-Taylor were one and the same person!! Those names conjour up such completely different images! Merry

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 9 Jun 2006 13:51

Mary LOL! Are you sure its the same woman?!?! OC

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 9 Jun 2006 13:52

Don't they just. She obviously wanted a more upmarket image. Even added an 'e' to her mum's maiden name.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 9 Jun 2006 13:53

Definitely the same person, Crone, and I've even found someone from this site who's also related to her, and has her silver-topped cane.

Mandy in Wiltshire

Mandy in Wiltshire Report 9 Jun 2006 14:00

Mary I think you've overtaken Val for the award, that's incredible! Your rellie obviously had a huge sense of humour lol! Mandy :)

Caroline

Caroline Report 9 Jun 2006 14:04

I thought my great gran had 2 sisters Martha and Charlotte, they turn out to be the same person and why are Mary Anns called Polly, I asked my Nan about her aunt Polly and she replyed of course she was called Polly her name was Mary Ann?????? by the way Non is a popular Welsh girls name, St Davids mum was Non! Caroline

Judith

Judith Report 9 Jun 2006 14:06

I have a Violet (Doll), Lionel (Bert), Eric (Buck), Thomas (Bill and/or Clyde), Bertie (Ted), Roland (Ron) & Gladys ... called Gladys. All siblings. Also a grandmother Martha called Selina. No wonder it requires sleuthing to find anyone.

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 9 Jun 2006 14:08

My most unfortunate relative went by the name of John Thomas.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 9 Jun 2006 14:10

WHY POLLY? It goes like this: Mary>Mally>Molly>Polly. Obviously lots of our ancestors lisped! My mum was Mary/Molly Great Aunt Mary Emma/Polly But a next door neighbour, a very jolly woman called Mrs Ann Parrott, was universally known behind her back as Polly! OC