Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Could scream in frustration!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 7 Jun 2006 09:56

See Below....

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 7 Jun 2006 09:56

Next town must have heard me scream in frustration this morning!! Have a marriage cert and I am unable to read the grooms fathers name. I think it may be welsh as the groom was born in Monmouthshire. Contacted the GRO who said to send it back and they would decipher it for me. Received my certificate back today with a covering letter saying that not only had they not been able to decipher the name but they had contacted the registrars office where the marriage took place and they too had been unable to decipher it. GRRRRRRRRRRRR Any one got any advice about where I can go from here?

Georgina

Georgina Report 7 Jun 2006 10:01

What is the grooms name & age, have you tried finding a birth certificate for him? Georgina.

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 7 Jun 2006 10:03

Hi Georgina, groom is Richard lambert and he was born around 1811, so no go on the birth cert

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 7 Jun 2006 10:09

Hi laura, Fraid I tried that before sending it away, bored every friend and family member with it, even e-mailed it to several 'cousins' I have met doing this, drawn a blank! think it must be a very unusual name, especially if the so called experts cant read it!! think I should maybe ask for welsh peeps out there to have a look. Dont like feeling all static laura!! x

Merry

Merry Report 7 Jun 2006 10:09

Can you decipher any letters? Merry

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 7 Jun 2006 10:11

Not a one, Merry! that is part of the problem, coupled with the fact that I think it is prob welsh x

Merry

Merry Report 7 Jun 2006 10:11

Crystal ball...... It's not Carthalin(a) or Lyncy? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 7 Jun 2006 10:13

What about sourcing the Parish Register copy of the cert? You might find the people at the CRO are better at Welsh names of the past, then the peeps at the Reg Office? Merry

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 7 Jun 2006 10:15

Merry you have just sent tingles up the spine!!! I was hoping it would be the first of those two as I found a baptismal record online in LLandogo of a richard lambert (where he was born) and the fathers name was carthalina, but try as I may and want it to be that is doesnt look like that xx

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 7 Jun 2006 10:17

Hi again Merry the GRO have already been in touch with the registrars office where the marriage took place and they too were unable to help x

Merry

Merry Report 7 Jun 2006 10:18

Oh, it was a registry office wedding then, not a church one? Merry

Merry

Merry Report 7 Jun 2006 10:20

LOL!! That's where I got Carthalina from!!! (the IGI) Lyncy looks to be the child of Richard's brother or cousin on the 1841 census. Please will you email it to me, so I can tell you that I can't read it either?!!!!!!! LOL (Can I PM you my email?) Merry

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 7 Jun 2006 10:21

Sorry Merry think i have confused you. The wording in the letter the GRO sent was this... I have been in contact with the local register office in the area where the marriage took place but they were unable to assist us on this occasion It was a church wedding

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 7 Jun 2006 10:22

You too kind Merry, thanks so much, perhaps a fresh pair of eyes... I have even tried reading it upside down. xx

Merry

Merry Report 7 Jun 2006 10:25

I've Pm'd you, Fuzzy! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 7 Jun 2006 10:31

If it was a church wedding there will be another copy of the cert in the parish records at the County Record Office. Maybe you could email them the cert and ask if they can read it and/or look at the PR copy? (if you say both the GRO and the local Reg Office have been unable to help because it's too tricky for them, you may wind them up into helping - red rag to a bull and all that!) It's the Gwent CRO you need: Gwent Record Office County Hall CWMBRAN Gwent NP44 2XH Email: gwent.records at torfaen.gov.uk (replace the at) Merry

Gwen

Gwen Report 7 Jun 2006 10:34

I am going to sream with you just dashed downstairs to collect the post hoping my cert has arrived yes it has but I cannot read half of it.I've waited so long going to email them see if they can help.

*** Fuzzy

*** Fuzzy Report 7 Jun 2006 10:38

Hi Gwen, thanks for that, nice to know that I am not alone x

Merry

Merry Report 7 Jun 2006 10:42

My error!!! I thought the marriage took place in Monmouthshire also!! Maybe you could still approach Gwent pleading with them that no one else is clever with Welsh names!!!! They might still be able to read it, unlike me! Lyncy turns out to be Leonard, by the way! Merry