Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BMD Transcribers, who are you?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 18 May 2006 20:50

I've been doing some transcribing for freebmd for the past 6 months (nice easy typewritten scanned images to work from so not too taxing!) & I just wondered who else does it?............... Sarah :-)

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 18 May 2006 21:03

Every time i have tried i have had no response. glen

Sarah

Sarah Report 18 May 2006 21:07

Jean, Just look for the link 'join freebmd' on the Freebmd site. You have to join a 'syndicate' (sounds like a big deal but I think it's just so they can organise who's doing what) & download a couple of programmes from them that make it easy. There's no time limit & you don't have to commit to doing so many pages a week/month you just do it when you have time. When you finish a page you send it to them & they'll send you a new one to start. It's a great idea, I got a lot of help from it so I wanted to put something back. Sarah :-)

Sarah

Sarah Report 18 May 2006 21:11

Glen, Maybe I just got lucky with the person that runs the syndicate I joined (which was the first one on the list at the time, Peter McCabbery) He's been really helpful & replies to mails usually within the hour!!! Sarah :-) I'm sure he'd appreciate some help from a man who wears tinsel pants in May! - who wouldn't?

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 18 May 2006 21:18

I have applied three times since early December but for some reason i haven't had any positive response. The last time was around three weeks ago,i would imagine most of the remaining records would be typed now,as the bulk of the pre 1910 index has been transcribed. I'll sit on it for another week or two yet and see what happens. Glen

Sarah

Sarah Report 18 May 2006 22:01

Glen, Look at the transcriber's page on freebmd then at the 'coverage charts' Births: 1850-1869 is pretty sketchy Marriages: same period there a quite a lot to be done Deaths: there are gaps (& very big ones) around 1860-61 Most other periods for all 3 (b m & d) are pretty complete. Each page holds 300 names - the same as the Ancestry trawl ones. There is still much to be done - don't give up, turnips! Sarah :-)

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 18 May 2006 22:15

Hi Sarah,yes i accept what you say about the coverage,i have looked since the last update,(not many do i know). Anyhow the drink is kicking in,the other half is getting sleepy and i think i should give up for the night. Glen

Sarah

Sarah Report 18 May 2006 22:23

Nighty night then Glen, I'm off too now... Sarah :-)

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 18 May 2006 22:25

Nite (hic) nite

Mandy in Wiltshire

Mandy in Wiltshire Report 18 May 2006 22:26

Meeeeeeee *waves hand frantically in the air* !! I'm doing handwritten 1862 deaths at the moment and the images are DIRE but it gives you something to get your teeth into. Glen ....sorry that you haven't heard anything, especially after contacting them three times. I'm with Jeff Coleman's syndicate - he is a really nice, helpful person and always responds very quickly. I was transcribing within a week of first applying. It's nice to be able to put a little bit back if you use the FreeBMD site. Mandy :)

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 18 May 2006 22:40

Ditto Mandy. I am in the same syndicate but I am now trancribing 1854 Births which are hand written. Not too bad. Jeff Coleman is very helpful. I am computer illiterate but he 'walked' me through the different stages. Been transcribing for over a year now. There is no pressure at all. Jean x.

Jane

Jane Report 18 May 2006 22:45

*******i'm here !!!******* i belong to Brians scan syndicate, am currently working on 1845 marriages ( handwritten !!), i also do some checking for FreeCEN, started off transcribing, then got promoted to checking, lol, love doing both of them.............. we do need all the help we can get though and it's dead simple. Jx

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 18 May 2006 22:50

So it looks like i maybe tried the wrong syndicate,mmmmmm food for thought,i will try via a different route. At the moment i have too much free time on my hands and my local archives office can only cover my family for 13 years (they had itchy feet). Thanks everyone,i have wanted to put something 'back' into this but maybe i have just been unlucky. Glen

Kate

Kate Report 18 May 2006 22:53

Jean, I'm in Jeff's syndicate too, hi! Glen, if you try Jeff Coleman I am sure he will sort you out! Kate.

Jane

Jane Report 18 May 2006 22:54

Hi Glen, if you got to joining FreeBMD now, Brians scan syndicate is top of the list................. i would recommend him and am pretty sure he won't ignore you !!!! give it a go, you'll love it.. Jx

Marion

Marion Report 18 May 2006 22:59

Hi everyone I am also with Jeff Coleman’s syndicate. I’ve done some 1862 deaths (must agree Mandy – images really gruesome) and am currently doing 1854 Births, handwritten but good images, with some 1878 Marriages for “light relief”. I’ve been transcribing for a couple of years now and thoroughly enjoy it, especially when I get fed up with all my brick walls. Marion

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 18 May 2006 23:07

Well i will certainly take the advice posted,i have a few (too many really) hours to spare and fully support the project and the reasons for it,thanks to everyone for your suggestions and a BIG thankyou to all the Transcribers who have worked on the project so far. Glen

Sarah

Sarah Report 19 May 2006 07:48

nudging for the morning crew.... Sarah :-)

Mandy in Wiltshire

Mandy in Wiltshire Report 19 May 2006 08:12

*Waving hello to my fellow syndicate members* lol! I knew Jean was in the same one as me, but hi Kate and Marion too! Mandy :)

Kate

Kate Report 19 May 2006 08:38

Laura, if you look at the information on the FreeBMD website about how to become a transcriber it will tell you the requirements for each syndicate. Some are for people in a particular place and some not. Kate.