Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old suitcase found - Looking for owner

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 11 May 2006 01:42

Searching around in my garage today looking for a hammer of all things, I found an old brown suitcase, never noticed it before. It has paperwork, belong to the Crisp family, Southend on Sea in Essex. In there is a family hymn book, dating to 1934. Birth Cert of a David Crisp (Born 1960). A photo album of family holidays (looks like 60's) Army records (from enlistment and discharge) Several Decree absolutles A mountain of cards (Birthday/Fathers day from various family members) About 10 rolls of old film Wedding photo's Some very old photo's (I mean old) And some misc other stuff I have bought it indoors to keep safe. If anyone knows of a crisp family in the southend/essex area, please pass this info on as it all looks too valuable to dispose of, and someone obviosly thought enough of the items to keep them in the first place I would guess it was all collected by the father of David Crisp (1960)

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 11 May 2006 02:16

What a great find! I'm sure that the Crisp family would be delighted to get it back, if you can find them. I had a quick look on the electoral roll - there are 8 David Crisps listed in Essex (none in Southend though). On the birth cert, did he have a middle name? That might narrow it down a bit. Richard

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 11 May 2006 02:30

I dont beleive so, I cant get to it right now to check. I did see someone had added a david crisp from southend on this site, i have messaged him, but nothing yet

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 11 May 2006 05:37

If you have no joy on here why not try the local newspaper. It would make an intresting article and there must be some people still living there who may know the family. Good hunting! Vanessa

The Ego

The Ego Report 11 May 2006 05:59

4 born in 1960 in eton,ipswich,rochford and islington JFM 1960= David L. Crisp (Versey) Ipswich 4b 1384 = David T.Crisp (Turner) Eton 6a 696(could be timothy middle name) AMJ 1960= David J. Crisp (Hickman)Rochford 4a 1231(looks like its john as middle name) = David J. Crisp (Garthwaite) islington 5c1330

The Ego

The Ego Report 11 May 2006 06:17

a David J. Crisp got married in 1986 in Southend on sea-to an Alison Wilkin.(relative is on here )-has been contacted there is a David J. Crisp presently in Whichford Essex,and a David Crisp in Rochford .

Merry

Merry Report 11 May 2006 08:22

His mum and dad might still be around too, so you could try electoral roll for their names, esp if they are called Cuthbert and Esmerelda!!! Merry

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 11 May 2006 08:48

I'd go with the Rochford one's birth as this is the reg. district for Southend. (My Dad was born there)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 May 2006 09:01

If you own the house, then perhaps local estate agents might know of the previous owners or if the house is rented then the local council/housing association should have lists of previous tenants. I would imagine the suitcase belongs to someone who once lived in the house. Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 May 2006 09:03

Butter Fingers doesn't need to find which birth reference is the right one, as the birth certificate is already in the suitcase!! Kath. x

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 11 May 2006 12:48

Thanks for the tips guys. I have emailed several possible relatives from this board, so maybe one on them is still searching. Unfortunately I tried the estate agents, they have been through so many changes in the last 60 years they said it would be impossible for them to find details of previous owners (Likely couldnt be bothered). I looked at directory enquiries too, and came up with 9 crisps still in this area, so i am about to call them to find out if theyre related. The person who saved all of this obviously thought alot of his children, as it looks like every fathers day and birthday card they gave him, he saved. Even if the owner isnt doing a family tree, would be a nice box of memories

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 11 May 2006 12:54

I am changing my my name to Crisp from today, wish it was mine

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 11 May 2006 13:53

I called a few Crisps from the phone book (about 22 of them lol) and found a possible match. Left my phone number and the ladies grand daughter (who is doing her family tree) will be calling me this eve ;0) I really hope its the right packet of crisps!!

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 11 May 2006 14:13

Unfortunately Laura, the only photo with writing on the back is of an old grandfather clock! Such a shame, the photo albums have survived the damp garage very very well

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 11 May 2006 14:34

Sorry Butter Fingers, but I have to disagree with you. Your 'name', that is lol. How can you be a Butter Fingers when you come across something like this? Cor, I wish someone would find something like that for me! Good luck! :-)

Sue

Sue Report 11 May 2006 14:37

I take it there are no refrences to the Sadler family in any of the documents? Ive only one person by the name of Crisp in my tree and she was born in Ipswich and married a Sadler and lived in Ipswich for most of her life. Sue x

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 11 May 2006 15:03

Sorry sue no reference to sadler. There is however a few divorce papers, let me go and look at who he divorced, may open up the search a bit and yes what a great find for someone with such lousy coordination haha

Eleanor

Eleanor Report 11 May 2006 15:08

The decree Nisi Absolute details are... Southend County Court Between Heather Elsie Crisp Nee Hickman and John Herbert Winton Crisp. They married on 19 Jan 1957 in the parish of S Erkenwalk in the borough of Southend on Sea

Sue

Sue Report 11 May 2006 15:12

Aw well.. Never mind your Crisps and mine might be distant cousins. I havent researched beyond the marraige. But who ever claims it is truely in for a wealth of information from what i can gather. Sue x

Janice

Janice Report 11 May 2006 16:46

John Herbert W Crisp dob18 Dec 1931 died Nov 1994 aged 62 Southend On Sea Essex Janice