Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where did they come from?

Page 0 + 1 of 9

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 14 Apr 2006 22:55

Want to know the most likely area your family came from? Leave a surname and I'll tell you the greatest occurence of it in Britain. ALSO let me know if this fits in with your research or not, it is nice to get some feedback. NOTE the responses you get are my personal interpretation of the available data and are done for fun, it may, or may not, assist with your research NO MORE REQUESTS AT PRESENT PLEASE

Beverly

Beverly Report 14 Apr 2006 23:05

Thanks Ken, very kind, it's up to you, I have: Marchington, Caldicott (or spelt Coldicott) Parsons or Taylors, Regards, Bev

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 14 Apr 2006 23:07

There's also that website where you can look online, but that's to do with density rather than distribution, so that 2 people in a group of ten on a remote island would show up as more significant than 50,000 in a population of 500,000. Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Apr 2006 23:12

OK Chowns Mealing/Mealins/Mellins Purvey Smoothy

Beverly

Beverly Report 14 Apr 2006 23:15

Hi Nell You have some interesting names in your tree, bet they were interesting to look up, Bev

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 14 Apr 2006 23:31

Marchington seem to be concentrated in Derbys. Chapel en le Firth in particular an occurence of 329 per 100,000 Caldicott - counties mainly boardering Wales - Weobley in Herefordshire having highest concentration of 159 (per 100,000) Coldicott - Gloucs/Worcs boundaries - Evesham 439 Parsons is a southern name Somerset/Dorset in particular but highest concentration is in three general areas Sturminster/Wincanton - 1492/1448 Launceston/Camelford/Holsworthy 1042/1012/877 then Bridgwater/Williton 835/765 Taylors is a very rare name Lancashire and Derbyshire featuring actual numbers in 1881 were Liverpool 2, Chorley 2 and Derby 2 per 100,000 people that would be 1,4,3 respectively Ken x

Helen

Helen Report 14 Apr 2006 23:34

What about Upex please? Mine are Northants. but I think there are some Devon ones maybe?

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 14 Apr 2006 23:45

Chowns actual numbers Oxfordshire 41 Buckinghamshire 20 highest occurrence Thame 37 Leighton Buzzard 14 Mealing - Gloucs has 91 occurences of name Bucks 60, but Wycombe has greatest concentration 59 Mealins - solely Cardiff only 6 people Mellins - Yorkshire/Lancashire in particular Huddersfield and Wigan Purvey - Gloucs and Sussex - Northleach Smoothy - East Anglia - Risbridge

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 14 Apr 2006 23:49

Upex - Northampton/Huntingdonshire - Peterborough in particular Kingsbridge/Devon appears once would not expect it to have originated here

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 14 Apr 2006 23:53

Christine, this is an actual distribution in 1881, it also allows to view as an occurence per 100,000 people Ken xx

babs123

babs123 Report 15 Apr 2006 00:00

Hi Ken long time no see?? Adams Sharman Skeet Sporle Lock Wilkinson Kat

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 15 Apr 2006 00:03

Rattray Barclay Doig ALL SCOTLAND, Ros

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 15 Apr 2006 00:07

Also DAVIS-England, Ros

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 15 Apr 2006 00:38

Hi Kat lost interest for a while but back now Adams is a nationwide name, hard to tell exactly where it originated the greatest number of Adams was in London particularly in Islington and Lambeth but per 100,000 people Towcester and Daventry have the highest concentration (nearly 1% of population) Sharman (I have that in my tree too) appears in a wide belt from Suffolk and Norfolk through Northants, Lincolnshire, to Yorks. and Lancs. Skeet again mainly East Anglian notably Suffolk, Ipswich with the highest actual occurence and Samford with the greatest per 100,000 Sporle is solely East Anglian Ipswich again has highest actual occurence, but Depwade has the greatest per 100,000 Lock although has reasonabe showing in East Anglia this appears to be a West Country name Somerset and Devon mainly and Langport in particular Isle of Wight is prominent too. Wilkinson surprisingly mainly a southern name hard to distinguish a particular area Barton Regis tops as actual numbers Caine in Wiltshire having the highest density -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ros, Scotland not included in Poor Law Census but 1881 Census shows Rattray - Angus Barclay - Lanark Doig - Angus as the most likely areas Davis seems to be concentrated in industrial areas of London, Birmingham and Bristol

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 15 Apr 2006 01:25

White Dinsdale Kough Pemberton please :)

Erikoinen

Erikoinen Report 15 Apr 2006 01:34

White is to popular a name to distinguish Dinsdale - Yorkshire Dales - Aysgarth Kough - Walsall, Staffs Pemberton - Blackburn, West Derby/Birkenhead and Leigh

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 15 Apr 2006 01:46

wow that was quick thanks :) Kough fits nicely as i live in Walsall

babs123

babs123 Report 15 Apr 2006 02:25

Thanks Ken, Nice to see you back My Sharman's are Yarmouth/Norwich Sporles, Ipswich and Skeets, Felixstowe So spot on for them, How about Paternoster Cubitt Watts Killick Just to you busy! Thanks Kat

BigRedDog

BigRedDog Report 15 Apr 2006 05:09

Hi Ken: Looking for the following name Place Wrigley Habbeshaw Burtenshaw

Linda G

Linda G Report 15 Apr 2006 07:04

Hi Ken, Could you look up my names please. Glasspool. Blewitt. Langham Mepham Thanks, Linda